John Shields, 64, who traded as Shieldson Heating, was checking a heating pump in the council headquarter’s plant room on October 4 2009 when his hand was pulled into the running belts of a hot water pump.
Two of his fingers were amputated below the first knuckle as a result.
A Health and Safety Executive investigation into the incident found that the back of the machine was not adequately guarded to the legal requirements, exposing dangerous moving parts.
Nuneaton Magistrates’ Court heard that Shields believed the pump was not running.
Warwickshire County Council pleaded guilty to breaching safety regulations and was fined £7,000 and ordered to pay £5,235 costs.
HSE Inspector Paul Thompson said: “Anyone, being an employer or in control of work equipment, must ensure that dangerous parts of machinery are adequately guarded and it is unacceptable that Warwickshire County Council failed to do this.
“As a result, Mr Shields has unfortunately suffered serious injuries which have had a permanent effect on him – in an incident that should have been easily avoided if the necessary steps had been taken by the council.”