School conversion job hit by clouds of asbestos dust

Grant Prior 6 years ago
Share

A property developer who exposed employees to asbestos has been given an eight-month suspended prison sentence and been ordered to pay fines and costs of £100,000.

Nottingham Crown Court heard that James Roger Carlton,64, of South Leverton ignored the presence of asbestos insulation board at the site of the former King Edward VI School on London Road, Retford.

He knew the potentially dangerous material formed part of the pre-fabricated buildings on the site, but ignored advice on its safe removal.

The HSE visited the school, which was being converted into a retirement complex, on 1 March 2012 during a construction safety initiative.

An inspector identified the type of building which is known to contain asbestos, and gave Carlton advice on what he needed to do to comply with the relevant legislation surrounding its removal.

Eight days later, a complaint was received by HSE from a member of the public advising that the asbestos was not being removed properly.

Carlton, trading as Heathcliff Developments, was told to have surveys carried out and to arrange for the licensed removal of the material.

But when inspectors re-visited the site they found building rubble containing asbestos that had not been properly disposed off in this way.

A Prohibition Notice was immediately served to stop all work.

HSE inspectors made a third unannounced visit and found workers in breach of the Prohibition Notice.

They found two workers putting asbestos insulation board into a lockable skip and ‘dry sweeping’ the dust, which resulted in large clouds of contaminated dust billowing across the site.

Work was again stopped until arrangements were made for safe and proper removal of asbestos materials.

The court heard that although employees had been wearing disposable overalls and face masks, no other controls were in place so not enough was done to protect them from the risk of exposure.

The asbestos containing material should have been dampened down and double-bagged in special bags, before being removed by a licensed contractor.

High efficiency vacuum cleaners should then have been used to remove smaller pieces of asbestos and dust rather than a broom.

Carlton, also known as Roger Stephen Parry, pleaded guilty to 12 safety breaches at an earlier hearing.

He was sentenced to eight months is prison, suspended for two years, for the breach of the Prohibition notice. He was also fined £55,000 and ordered to pay a further £45,000 in costs.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Kevin Wilson said: “Mr Carlton showed a willful disregard for the health and safety of his employees and others.

“Our investigation uncovered a catalogue of serious errors, safety failings and a general ignorance of the laws around the safe and correct removal of asbestos.

“This was an appalling case of failing to properly plan, manage and resource this project which led to workers being exposed to risks to their health from asbestos.

“Workers who have been exposed to asbestos could have posed a health risk to others in the long term, even their families and loved ones, by taking home their contaminated clothing.”

 

Latest news

Laing O’Rourke director killed in car crash on way to work

Tributes to Caroline Blackman who died early on Wednesday morning en route to Hinkley
1 day ago

Kier cutting jobs on Highways England contract

More than 100 workers facing redundancy across Midlands Area 9
1 day ago

Buckingham confirmed for £120m Swansea arena

Six months of pre-construction work to now get underway
21 hours ago

Two North West smart motorway projects delayed

Costain and Galliford Try jobs put back by more than a year
1 day ago

Lendlease wins £8bn Thamesmead development

Morgan Sindall beaten in race for 11,500 home site
1 day ago

Government pledges £80m for Dawlish sea wall project

South Devon railway sea wall will be rebuilt and increased in height by 2.5m
1 day ago

30 jobs lost as Yorkshire precast firm collapses

Rippon-based Ebor Concretes placed in administration
1 day ago

Go-ahead for 200-home Cardiff build-to-rent scheme

Work to start on central Cardiff scheme this summer
2 days ago

Balfour renews £220m London Tube track upkeep

Four-year term will start in April with option to extend by six years
2 days ago

Boost your online presence – join the Enquirer Directory

New site for suppliers and buyers showcases products, services and latest stories
10 months ago

Bouygues paid £21m not to build Garden Bridge

Transport for London documents detail £53.5m wasted on doomed crossing
3 days ago

Government signs off £250m for major housing projects

Deal to release £157m for housing infrastructure in Cumbria and Devon
2 days ago

Beetham Tower owner faces £4m reclad bill

Owner will have to foot remedial facade works bill in wake of Carillion collapse
2 days ago

WYG profit warning sees share price crash 40%

Consultant back in talks with lenders over breaching banking covenants
3 days ago

United Living hires former Wates business director

Michael Holling takes role as northern and Midlands operations director after 24 years at Wates
2 days ago

Union demands death benefits for all construction workers

Unite says lack of employer-paid cover should be as unacceptable as not wearing a hard hat on site
3 days ago

Scaffold collapse on school misses kids by metres

Court hears how untied scaffold fell into Welsh school
3 days ago

Galliford Try construction hit by more Aberdeen bypass losses

Another £26m hit on bypass plunges construction into red in first half
3 days ago

Council terminates Lakehouse school contract

Willmott Dixon takes over site hit by "performance and project delays"
3 days ago

Government infrastructure pipeline needs reality check

Call for Treasury to drop project 'wishlist' for certain Pledged Projects List
3 days ago

Council seeks partner for Birmingham Ladywood Estate

Major regeneration plans at Ladywood and Perry Bar to boost city's housing stock
3 days ago

Willmott Dixon wins £21m Wakefield swimming pool

Work to start next month on Pontefract Park leisure centre
3 days ago

Weston and Tesco plan to turn store site into 1,400 homes

Application set to go in for major mixed-use development in east London
3 days ago

Network Rail unveils major operational shake-up

Devolved operating model moves from eight to 13 routes
4 days ago

Subcontractors wanted across Nottingham

Big name contractors and clients looking to boost supply chains: Register now for Meet the Buyer event
3 days ago

Bidding starts for £18m Helensburgh leisure centre

Argyll and Bute Council hopes to start work on seafront leisure centre and swimming pool this year
4 days ago

Interserve ‘fit for growth’ director exits

Dougie Sutherland merged UK and International construction businesses
4 days ago

Rail minister says HS2 doubts are “complete nonsense”

Government says its commitment to construction of the full route is "undiminished"
4 days ago

Go-ahead for Manchester Airport beauty group hub

Three contractors chase £31m deal for The Hut Group studio
5 days ago

Drink driver careers through roadworks

Jailed driver was three times over the limit when he crashed into a construction vehicle
4 days ago

Contractor services