Fresh clash over blacklisting compensation scheme

Aaron Morby 5 years ago
Share

Construction unions have attempted to block moves by contractors to contact blacklisted workers over proposed compensation payouts.

Yesterday lawyers representing nine contractors involved in setting up The Construction Workers Compensation Scheme applied to the High Court to use the blacklisting database of 3,213 names to contact workers.

But unions UCATT, UNITE and GMB approached the High Court to block the move.

General Union GMB said that contractors were trying to press ahead unilaterally without union agreement on compensation terms.

Justin Bowden, GMB National Officer, said: “The same companies who ran and organised the Consulting Association have gone to the High Court to try and use the same information they used to blacklist in order to run their proposed compensation scheme.

Last week the Enquirer revealed that talks between the two sides were deadlocked over the terms of the basic compensation payouts.

The offer on the table from employers is said to be about £2,000 for anyone listed on The Consulting Association database.

Unions estimate this will cost the nine contractors behind the compensation scheme £15 to £20m.

A spokeswoman for The Construction Workers Compensation Schemes said: “The union action threatens to deny all those named in TCA records – whether affiliated to a union or not – the opportunity to seek compensation through The Construction Workers Compensation Scheme.

“Once finalised, it is designed to be a faster and easier alternative to pursuing their claims in the High Court.

She added: “The unions have known for nine months that the companies’ intended to launch the scheme and have been widely consulted.

“In fact, the scheme has been substantially revised to accommodate many of the wishes of the unions. We are therefore extremely disappointed by the action taken by the unions today in their attempt to block the compensation scheme.

“Without the High Court order, there is a risk that people will be denied the choice between the compensation scheme and the less certain court process.”

The High Court order seeks to restrict use of the data specifically to the administration of the scheme and will not be used outside of the scheme.

The court has adjourned a decision until 10 July.

Last October Balfour Beatty, Carillion, Costain, Kier, Laing O’Rourke, Sir Robert McAlpine, Skanska UK and Vinci announced plans to set up the compensation scheme for victims of blacklisting.

So far 1,724 out of the 3,213 on the list know they were on the blacklist.

Several hundred of these 467 are covered by separate claims brought by the unions in the High Court.

 

Latest news

27% of roof steel stripped from HS2 station design

Value engineers save £7m on Balfour Beatty/Vinci's Old Oak Common station project
17 mins ago

Scape slashes firms on next generation Venture framework

Venture Framework contractors cut from 13 to six firms
18 hours ago

Galliford Try Partnerships buys northern builder

£62m turnover Strategic Team Group to be renamed Galliford Try Partnerships Yorkshire
14 hours ago

FRP Advisory appointed Shaylor administrator

Administrator confirms around 200 redundancies at collapsed Midlands contractor
18 hours ago

Buckingham bags relief road for HS2 village

New route will spare Northamptonshire village from site traffic
46 mins ago

Skills card scheme shuts safety test loophole

Tightening up of rules will see everyone sit a current CITB safety test
16 mins ago

Kier cutting 1,200 jobs and selling housing arm

Contractor quitting non-core operations as debt levels rise again
24 hours ago

Boost your online presence – join the Enquirer Directory

Site for suppliers and buyers showcases products, services and latest stories
1 year ago

Shaylor staff laid-off by Sunday morning email

Over 200 staff to be axed as directors confirm Shaylor is heading for administration
1 day ago

Willmott Dixon margin hits 2.8% as profit soars

Group builds cash reserve to weather further Brexit project delays
1 day ago

Multiplex brings profit back on track

Profit recovers to £18m on revenue of £1.1bn
23 hours ago

Roof safety horror show lands contractor in court

Photos show roofers risking their lives after HSE had already served a stop notice
1 day ago

United Living wins £18m Poole tower blocks revamp

Project Admiral will see four housing tower blocks upgraded
1 day ago

Shaylor files notice of intent to appoint administrator

Subcontractors walk off sites as Midlands contractor seeks extra finance
4 days ago

Bidders day for £900m Heathrow rail tunnel project

Planned 6.5km rail link between the Great Western Main Line and London Heathrow Airport
4 days ago

Grenfell: 75% of unsafe blocks still to be reclad

Owners of 328 high rise blocks still need to complete remediation
4 days ago

Building products firm Alumasc issues profit warning

Problems at Levolux division cast shadow over upcoming results
4 days ago

Wooden football stadium plan rejected

Council rejects Forest Green Rovers plan for Zaha Hadid designed new ground
5 days ago

Flannery Plant Hire spends £30m on Cat machines

Huge deal signed at Plantworx exhibition
4 days ago

£1bn Stratford East Bank scheme clears final planning

Cultural and education centre in Olympic Park ready to go
5 days ago

Ringway wins £420m road maintenance deal

Highways England East Region contract could last 15 years
5 days ago

Hammerson unveils new Birmingham city quarter plan

1,300 homes and 1.4m sq ft of workspace planned for Martineau Galleries site
5 days ago

Planning row sees roads blocked on Persimmon site

Council blocks construction traffic to housing site
5 days ago

Tolent lands £84.5m Durham Milburngate contract

Contractor bags one of its biggest ever deals with main construction work set to start shortly
6 days ago

Government commits to net zero carbon by 2050

Industry must quickly rise to the challenge of improving the existing building stock
6 days ago

Extra week to put forward your favourite construction firms

Construction Enquirer Awards deadline extended: Enter online now
1 week ago

Wates ramps up FM offering with new business

Wates FM will target public sector work and wider spectrum of private clients
6 days ago

Worker killed by remote-controlled crane

Lift goes fatally wrong on National Grid site
6 days ago

Lendlease to start Manchester Potato Wharf phase 2

Castlefield scheme consists of two eight storey blocks
6 days ago

Wood drafted in for Hinkley Point C technical services

New Hinkley technical support deal to improve project delivery and commercial performance
6 days ago

Contractor services