Carillion directors ‘contemptuous’ of pension funding

Aaron Morby 7 months ago
Share

Watchdog MPs have accused Carillion directors of being contemptuous of their pensions obligations in their probe in to the collapse of the group.

Carillion directors refused to give an inch to the pension schemes, says pension committee chairman Frank Field

The work and pensions select committee also slams the pensions regulator for doing too little too late after being called on to intervene on two occasions.

About 29,000 members of Carillion’s 13 pension schemes face cuts to their benefits after the group collapsed last month with a pension shortfall that almost doubled to nearly £1bn in three years.

Letters published by the work and pensions select committee on Tuesday reveal the trustees wrote to the watchdog in 2010 and 2013 pleading for help to break a deadlock with Carillion over funding its plans.

But the regulator only opened a formal investigation into Carillion on 18 January three days after its collapse.

Frank Field MP, Chair of the Work and Pensions Committee, said: “These letters suggest the Carillion directors were contemptuous of their pensions obligations. Over two successive 15-month negotiations they refused to give an inch to the pension schemes.

“Their private pleading that the company could not afford more was in stark contrast to the rosy picture – and bumper dividends – being presented to the outside world. Richard Adam, the longstanding Finance Director, has particular questions to answer.

“With characteristic alacrity, the Pensions Regulator started its arduous process of chasing money down from Carillion a few days after it was formally announced there was no money left. I can only assume – and hope – they are going after some of those very generous bonuses.”

Key pension deadlock dates

2010 – Bullishness in public did not reflect private negotiating position

Despite a recent bullish results announcement and a 12% increase in dividends, Carillion maintained it could not afford to pay more than £23m per year for the pension deficit. The trustees had advice that a minimum of £35m was affordable.

Carillion pushed for a 15-year recovery plan when anything more than 10 years is considered exceptional.

Negotiations got no further than £25m per year, which the trustees considered “not acceptable” and “far less than … reasonable”.

2013 – ‘Take or leave it’

The 2013 letter said that an “impasse” had been reached in negotiations between the trustees and Carillion.

The trustees had proposed contributions of £65m per year over 14 years to meet a deficit they estimated at £770m.

Carillion made a “take it or leave it” offer of just £33.4m per year over 15 years. The company pushed for more optimistic assumptions which resulted in lower estimates of the deficit.

The trustees contended that Carillion had got weaker in recent years and wanted that reflected in calculations, but this was rejected by the company.

Carillion had “made no move from its original position throughout the whole negotiation process”. The trustees wrote to the regulator after the statutory 15-month negotiation period had passed warning that the pension schemes were falling behind relative to other Carillion stakeholders and taking a disproportionate amount of risk.

In a statement, the Pensions Regulator said: “When the trustees wrote to us in 2013 to say they could not agree funding plans with the company, we did intervene by threatening to use our powers unless a funding plan was agreed.

“Our intervention resulted in a significant increase in the amount of money the company was prepared to pay into the scheme. We believed this was reasonable based upon our understanding of the company’s trading strength as set out in its audited accounts.”

The evidence was released as MPs prepare to question KPMG, the company’s auditor, on Thursday.

Latest news

Shake-up for £2.9bn MoD hard FM contracts

Bid race starts for MoD estate and housing regional contracts
1 min ago

Kier targets £50m disposals to cut £375m debt

Firm sets out debt reduction plan in robust year-end results
12 hours ago

Wates wins 7th Leeds Wellington Place job

Work will start of £35m 4 Wellington Place project next month
7 hours ago

Keltbray concrete structures boss exits

Keltbray Structures MD Gordon Dunne on gardening leave
1 day ago

141 jobs axed as M&E specialist George Birchall fails

Larger FM business George Birchall Service avoids administration
12 hours ago

Morgan Sindall bags £384m London scheme first phase

Hackney scheme includes an academy, leisure centre and six blocks of flats
12 hours ago

Mace confirms £180m Olympic Park East Village deal

Firm will fine-tune its 'rising factory' method on the No6 East Village project
12 hours ago

Contractor trials mixed reality headsets on school site

BIM and Microsoft HoloLens used to check M&E work
1 day ago

PM pledges extra £2bn for housing associations over 10 years

Longterm funding will be made available from 2022-2029
1 day ago

Jacobs to lead Edinburgh city centre transformation plan

Team will set out plan for historic overhaul of streets and public space
1 day ago

Costain and Galliford Try fined £2.8m after worker loses toes

Massive fine after accident at Cheshire water treatment works
2 days ago

Boost your online presence – join the new Enquirer Directory

New site for suppliers and buyers will showcase their products, services and latest stories
5 months ago

Van Elle shareholders stage AGM revolt

Shareholders block board's ability to issue new shares for acquisitions
2 days ago

£100m Bristol sports arena plan at Ashton Gate stadium

Sports and convention centre will be attached to Lansdown Stand
2 days ago

Balfour Beatty raises £43m from hospital stake sale

Balfour sells 50% stake in Fife Hospital PPP
2 days ago

Kier offloads pensions unit for £3.5m

Third party pension management business administers half of all police pension
2 days ago

Willmott Dixon clinches £38m Winchester sports centre

Work to start in Spring 2019 on major leisure and sports complex
2 days ago

Architect TP Bennett reaches record turnover

Manchester office grows on back of city building boom
2 days ago

Brexit migration plan would “cripple construction”

Industry pleas ignored over need for steady flow of low-skilled site workers
2 days ago

Wates wins £16m Stockport college revamp

Work is due to start in the early new year on Wellington Road Campus
2 days ago

Balfour Beatty pioneers plastic pylons in Scotland

140 composite poles installed by new helicopter crane in just five days
2 days ago

Plan for 55-storey Manchester student skyscraper

Plans submitted for 168m tall red brick tower at Hulme Street
3 days ago

Crossrail sparks threaten stoppages over lack of loos

Electricians threaten to down tools at Bond Street station site
3 days ago

37 firms to pitch innovations for Heathrow expansion

Search for Heathrow’s Innovation Partners progresses for 3rd runway
3 days ago

Engie lands £52m Newbury PRS deal from Grainger

Construction to start by end of year on new "urban village"
3 days ago

Former Severfield boss joins Billington as chairman

Ian Lawson returns to constructional steelwork after recovering from illness
3 days ago

Czech facade specialist wins second scheme in Manchester

Sipral wins facade package for twin tower flats
3 days ago

Keepmoat closes West Midlands office after £13m hit

House builder aims to build more than 4,000 homes this year
3 days ago

£1.9bn fund open for housing site infrastructure

£1.3bn Land Assembly and £600m Small Sites Funds open for business
3 days ago

Lidl to build giant Leeds distribution centre

60,000 sq m centre will be Lidl's 17th major warehouse investment in the UK
3 days ago

Contractor services