Lendlease is working in partnership with Southwark Council to deliver a GBP£2 billion regeneration programme on 28 acres of land in the centre of Elephant & Castle. Situated in London's Zone 1, our vision is to create Central London's new green heart.
Inspired by the strength of its past, we will re-establish Elephant & Castle as the most exciting new neighbourhood in London not only through what we're building, but also how we're doing it. Our approach to urban regeneration in Elephant & Castle is already setting new standards in sustainability, that will not only will make the Elephant a great place to live, but will play a vital role in tackling issues such as air pollution and carbon emissions, creating a positive impact beyond just the Elephant.
The Elephant Park Masterplan consists of almost 2,500 new homes on the site of the former Heygate Estate. This received outline planning permission in 2013 and will be completed in phases between now and 2025.
Job Purpose and Scope:
The role of the Design Manager is to ensure that an effective and productive liaison is established between the external design team, the construction and commercial team and Statutory Authorities whilst interfacing with the client team.
The Design Manager directs the external design team ensuring the best design solutions are achieved whilst maintaining the essence of the design concept throughout the project life cycle by resolving buildability, safety, cost, programme issues through the pre contract, construction and post contract stages of the design process.
- Ensure all design information is delivered to the project team to meet the project programme and project cost plan.
- Ensure all design information is buildable in a safe manner and is of a quality matching the project design stage,
- Ensure the design information meets the Contractor's Proposals, Employer's Requirements or brief. Identify and schedule any deviations.
- Add value to the project through sensible and practical Value Engineering, seeking alternative options in design whilst maintaining the essence and quality of the design through all stages of the design process.
- Drive the supply chain management of the finished product through leading, motivating and managing the external consultants.
- Define the scope of services of each Design Team consultant through the use of a Design Responsibility Matrix.
- Review the Design Teams BIM capabilities and deliveries and assist in preparing the Project BIM Execution Plan
Key Tasks and Activities
- Assist in the selection and procurement of the Design Team if appropriate.
- Comment on the Design Team fees and resources to provide efficient coverage on the project within the programme and cost constraints.
- Develop a mechanism for evaluating the Design Team's performance.
- Challenge Design Team consultants who are not performing ensuring remedial action is taken.
- Interface with the client on design matters.
- Auditing design and reporting and signing off design information (if required) on the quality/content of the design information at each Design Stage.
- Establish and maintain design information release programme to ensure the timely development of the design, client approvals are achieved and subsequent release of robust design information to the project team.
- Monitor the approval of consultant's or contractor's designs.
- Input/Lead into Lend Lease ROAD process (risks and opportunities in Design depending on the project stage.
- Liaising and negotiating where necessary with planning officers, consultants, external groups to ensure that projects achieve the project programme.
- Establish methods to ensure compliance with all statutory regulations and any additional specific client requirements.
- Advising the project team of any safety issues in conjunction with the Planning Supervisor.
- Commenting on contractor or consultants proposals including materials choices.
- Attending relevant site meetings and carrying out site inspections.
- Attending relevant meetings at various stages of the project.
- Alongside the BIM Manager ensure the Design Team implement the Lend Lease BIM Strategy and the Project BIM Execution Plan
- Lead the Design Team to use the BIM toolkit to improve design co-ordination and promote clash avoidance.
- Become an active part of the Lend Lease Design Community of Practice.
- Proactively engage in Value Engineering ideas throughout the life of the project
- Liaise with the Information Manager and review delivery of information, content and be able to comment on Document Management Tool.
- Ensure the Design meets the Employers Requirement and Lend Lease record and deliver these at Project Completion
Dimensions (skills, experience and capabilities):
- Registered and construction industry professional, eg: Registered Architect or Chartered Engineer (desireable)
- A minimum of 5 years working experience within the construction industry post qualification
- Ability to lead an external design team
- Ability to become a trusted and valued member of a site based team
For more information and to apply contact James.Paine@lendlease.com
We aspire to create a diverse workforce by recruiting suitably qualified candidates from a range of backgrounds regardless of age, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin or colour, sex, trans- gender status, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marital or civil partnership, or any other group who face disadvantage in our society.
As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity we have invested in the external verification for equality, diversity and inclusion and have achieved the Equality Assured Standard accreditation.
We build careers, develop skills and invest in people.
Imagine what more you can do here