The role is within the Design+Technical Team which is a Head Office based role reporting into the Executive General Manager for Design+Technical. The Head of Services is a key role within the organisation and will support the European business in all Services matters. The role sits within the Business Unit of Construction and the primary concern is to ensure that the Construction Business is given sensible advice at all stages of all projects to protect its liability both legally and commercially. The role will also involve supporting Development in the preconstruction stages and in some instances Consulting.
The Head of Services role is to be a leader in the field of Services, they will be not only the expert within Lendlease, but also considered an expert by their external peers. They will keep current on technical issues in their discipline in the market place and be up to date with all relevant regulations. They will be the relationship manager for our key external suppliers both consultants and trade contractors. Work Winning and contributing to construction tenders for our external construction market will be a key part of the role.
The role will include a supporting people management role of project based Services Managers to ensure that technical advice is consistent across projects. This supporting role would also include advice on career development within the team. A Community of Practice should be regularly held and hosted by the Head of Services.
Above all else for this role a "can do" attitude is essential, someone who will "roll their sleeves up" and do the task themselves when others aren't available. The role will be varied and unpredictable as it needs to respond to various situations whether during tendering, in construction or when legacy issues arise outside of our control. The reactive nature has to take precedence to assist the project teams in resolving issues, but all feasible time should be spent proactively preventing issues arising through Design Reviews, Site Visits and the issue of Design+Technical Alerts.
- Lead the services specialism across all projects, internal, external and future projects
- Authority on current technical services issues and statutory regulations and guidance
- Direct and Indirect Management of Services Managers
- Formulate, lead and implement a Business Plan for the Services Team
- Technical Design Review at Work Winning Bid Stage (aligned to PCP)
- Technical Design Review pre Conversion Stage (aligned to PCP)
- Technical Review of Consultant PSAs - Scope, Fees, Resources
- Technical Design Review Service as part of PCSA for Lendlease Development (aligned to Compass)
Lessons Learnt/Best Practice
- Run Community of Practices for Services Managers
- Ongoing Services Technical Advice and Support across the business
- Services Technical Training on specific subjects
- Own Design+Technical Alerts for identified issues to be communicated to the whole business
- Input into technical advice for Services Manager Recruitment
Key Tasks and Activities
- Be available and accessible for queries from across the LL business, ensuring that you are the Services expert and become known for giving sensible, practical and non-political advice.
- Be an inspiring leader for both your indirect reports, influencing the wider business.
- Participate in relevant external technical organisations, conferences and events to ensure you are at the forefront of all technical issues within your field, informing the wider LL business when applicable.
- Establish methods to ensure compliance with all statutory regulations, make the LL business aware of relevant changes in legislation through Design+Technical Alerts and training where necessary.
- Develop Global links with other services experts to drive consistency, lessons learnt, innovation throughout the business.
- Drive and support the use of BIM across the business.
- Audit all Design Stage Reports and Tender Information for External Construction Tenders. Identifying any major risks and most importantly adding value to win new work. Use contacts within both the services consultant and services contractor supply chain to our advantage. Produce written and sketched information to be include in tender submission. It may be necessary to sometimes attend mid and/or final tender presentations.
- Participate in Multi-Discipline Design Reviews and Lead Services Design Reviews. Review to focus on ensuring lump sums are as robust as possible. Reviews should involve consultant appointments and sub-contractor contracts highlighting any technical issues as well as both consultant and sub-contractor design information. Issues identified to be co-ordinated in a written report and disseminated to the project team focussing on any major risks and added value for Lendlease. Project Team response to be monitored and where not considered adequately concluded, issue should be escalated.
- Participate in Multi-Discipline Design Reviews and Lead Discipline Design Reviews for LL Development during the PCSA period. Constructive feedback to be co-ordinated and disseminated to the project team focussing on any major risks and added value for the wider Lendlease business.
- The PCSA service to LL Development will include input into the selection process of consultants, including attending interviews and commenting on appointments.
- Must have a Construction or Building Services Engineering Degree
- Experience of managing the installation of building services of a major projects
- Detailed knowledge of commissioning of main plant systems
- Experience of working with existing live services requiring replacement as work proceeds
- Capable of closing out services elements of projects
- Experience in the selection and procurement of designers on a competitive basis
- Able to direct, and where necessary negotiate with, major design practices
- Able to direct, and where necessary negotiate with supply chain partners and sub-contractors
- Thorough knowledge of the complete design and construction process
- Thorough knowledge of design and construction technical details
- Experience and detailed knowledge of the RIBA Work Stages
- Experience in the creation and use of project control mechanisms
- Experience of the JCT Design and Build, CM and NEC forms of Contract
- Able to present technical and procedural material to audiences
- Trained and certified to carry out formal audits of project for BREEAM compliance
- Competent IT skills in relevant programmes; Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Project, Acrobat
- Autocad/Microstation capable
- Navisworks capable (BIM)
- Trained in all safety matters and holder of CSCS card for Project Managers
To apply please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We aspire to create a diverse workforce by recruiting suitably qualified candidates from a range of backgrounds regardless of age, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin or colour, sex, transgender status, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marital or civil partnership, or any other group who face disadvantage in our society.
As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity we have invested in the external verification for equality, diversity and inclusion and have achieved the Equality Assured Standard accreditation.
We build careers, develop skills and invest in people.
Imagine what more you could do here