Proposals Manager – Birmingham
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products.
We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Our Major projects team based at our Rowley Regis Depot in Birmingham are recruiting for a Proposals Manager to develop and implement high quality and effective bid strategies and solutions to support the successful bidding of projects for our UK Projects Division (UKP).
About the Role
As the Proposals Manager within the UK Projects team, you will oversee the effective management of the bid process for all UKP opportunities and ensure collaboration and support is provided from the operational business units. You will:
- Liaise effectively and work closely with the management teams across UKP to identify their requirements and provide effective bid support services and technical solutions for all opportunities
- Work closely with all members of the bid teams, Procurement, Commercial, Technical, Support Services and the wider business to support the effective development and implementation of processes and protocols for bidding opportunities
- Assist in maintaining and improving bid management processes and challenging existing practices
- Demonstrate appropriate experience, training and qualifications for the post and be proactive in industry groups and or professional bodies to maintain an up to date awareness of activities and standards with Colas business sectors
- Responsible for the development, preparation and submission of pre-qualifications and tenders aligned to company objectives
- Develop effective bid strategies and solutions aligned to company objectives to support UK Projects bidding and wider business opportunities where directed
- Oversee the bid management and co-ordination team ensuring that effective and relevant inputs an information is provided for bidding that relates to technical support, bid writing, co-ordination and administration
- Work with operational teams and central services to manage, develop and write quality bid solutions, ensuring submissions are produced in accordance with current procedures
- Be responsible for client contact and tender query management throughout the tender period, ensuring that all post tender requirements are dealt with efficiently, effectively and in a timely manner
- Co-ordinate and manage the master tender programme, ensuring milestones and deadlines within the bid process are met across all opportunities
- Undertaking handover of tender quality promises to the operational team once projects are secured
- Provide support and mentoring to Bid Managers, Bid Writers and Apprentices
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- Car Allowance / Company Car + Fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + bank holidays with the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- NI free childcare vouchers
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
You will have extensive experience in successfully performing a bid management role within Airfields / Highways / Civil Engineering sectors, ideally at a Senior level. You will also:
- Demonstrate a good understanding of bid management processes
- Have experience in providing a good understanding of operational and technical considerations in determining effective solutions to support strategic bidding opportunities
- Understand commercial and legal issues that need to be considered when bidding opportunities
- Be an excellent communicator across all levels
- Can lead, motivate and develop others
- Be able to think creatively and provide innovative solutions
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.