Purpose of the Role
The role of the Engineering Manager will provide engineering leadership for the Wednesbury to Brierley Hill project. In particular you will provide efficient day-to-day management of the site-based technical/engineering/ surveying functions. This will include assessing all aspects of the multi-disciplinary engineering disciplines from the design appraisal process, through to construction and liaison with external consultants. The manager will apply engineering knowledge to all aspects of site design making necessary recommendations.
Joining Colas Rail UK provides the opportunity to not only establish yourself within one of the rail industry’s biggest and most prestigious, multi-disciplined contractors, providing you with a springboard that can take you career to new heights.
We take pride in nurturing talent and providing opportunities for you to unlock your potential at whatever stage you are in your career. We encourage cross-collaboration and innovation and if you are interested in learning Colas Rail will enable that.
Everyday we work together safely to solve real problems, with a shared goal of enhancing the infrastructure and logistics which is key to the UK Rail Network and wider Supply Chain. Everyone here has a voice, and we encourage all to speak up, discuss their ideas and implement them.
We’re always looking for passionate people to join our business and with several bases across the UK, there are plenty of opportunities to join our vibrant, creative, and diverse teams.
Colas Rail hold three core values: Caring, Sharing and Daring. We take care our of our employees, always ensuring safety is a top priority and we nurture our collective wellbeing. We share a passion for what we do, celebrate our achievements and value high standards like nowhere else. We dare to take on new challenges, we are one of the international leaders in our industry. We keep on innovating, expanding, and conquering new markets.
The performance of Colas Rail UK is dependent upon improving and developing the skills and abilities of all employees, and our Equal Opportunities Policy, above all else, aims to achieve this objective.
Key Success Measures
- Safety & Ethics – Support the implementation of the Business Conduct Guidelines, Colas Rail Limited Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) strategy, associated actions and resulting initiatives, to deliver continuous improvement in all areas.
- Excellence – Ensure work is carried out with a continuous view to profitability and efficiency and look after our shareholders by guaranteeing that they see value for money and a profitable business. Quality is key to competitiveness. Take responsibility for delivering on time and on budget a high-quality product or service, which Colas Rail can take pride in.
- People – Demonstrate respect for colleagues, our clients and the environment in all areas of work.
Key Areas of Responsibility & Accountability
- Responsible for implementing the engineering strategy for the project and providing technical support to the delivery managers, supporting on inter-disciplinary engineering management issues, and ensuring compliance.
- Lead on the engineering management of individual multi-disciplinary work packages across the project.
- Ensure that staff are competent and, where necessary, licenced to undertake the level of engineering required on the project.
- Regular liaison with design teams to ensure designs being provided as AFC are efficient and safe to build.
- Take lead on engineering management of key specialist subcontract design packages including ensuring necessary assurance and approval processes are implemented.
- Input into the contract programme to document the planned construction activities and required engineering deliverables.
- Approval of detailed construction methodologies and inspection and test plans produced by the project teams.
- Input into development of and review submissions for handover documentation.
- Assist team members across all disciplines as required with engineering input.
- Attend site as required to liaise with site engineers and managers. Including being main point of contact for the design team Resident Engineer.
- Recruit, train and mentor staff within their area of professional excellence to meet the competency requirements identified by the technical directors.
- Monitor and ensure continuous improvement of the performance of REs within the programme.
- Lead on innovation and promotion of best practice.
- Work with the teams across the MMA to develop and implement continuous improvement on multidisciplinary projects.
- As you will expect the organisation may change from time to time and you will be expected to meet the operational requirements.
- Any other reasonable duties as required from time to time.
- Previous role as Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) and/ or Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) construction (preferable)
- Experience managing design development process.
- Computer literate with strong skills in Microsoft Excel and - software packages such as AutoCad (or similar).
- Ability to use ‘Survey Network Adjustment Software’ and manage its use on site.
- Membership of professional institution (preferable)
- BSc/BEng, or MSc/MEng in Civil Engineering or another relevant subject
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (preferable)
To apply online, click here