We have an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Advisor to form part of the wider Environment and Sustainability team and support the delivery of the construction and handover phase of the HS2 Main Works Civils Contract.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the contract's operations and ensure that the requirements are implemented on the project
- Provide Environmental compliance advice to various team, including construction, procurement and subcontractors and suppliers on the practical implementation of contract policies, processes and requirements. Identify and provide training and upskilling required to fulfill environmental responsibilities of various delivery team roles
- Identify and communicate environmental and sustainability risks and mitigations, assisting with the review and undertaking of risk assessments and method statements. Providing critical on-site presence and advice to the delivery team
- Drive awareness for and delivery against contract targets, particularly reducing Carbon and striving to achieve no-net loss in biodiversity and BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating. Drive innovation and continuous improvement throughout the contract team
- Provide advice and guidance, and where necessary assist with the obtaining legal consents, licenses and exemptions
- Maintain good working relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, Natural England, EA, Thames Water and others as required and directed
We’re looking for:
Environmental advisory experience in the environment and construction industry, ideally projects in rail, highways or tunneling
Degree or equivalent in Environmental Sciences or suitably applicable fields
Associate or Practitioner Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and internal auditing experience ideally
Good organisation and time management skills, able to work independently and off their own initiative
Confident speaker with experience preparing and delivering presentations
Demonstrates a passion for the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and a desire to positively influence and develop those around them
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply online click here.