Your new role
Highways England is recruiting a Head of Commercial Resolution to join the Commercial Services Division within the Commercial and Procurement Directorate (C&P). This role is a full-time permanent position and can be based from any of the Highways England main offices with regular travel to other sites when permitted.
Reporting to the Commercial Service Director, you will be accountable for the strategic direction of the Commercial Resolution function, ensuring alignment with the wider C&P Directorate. As a head of profession, you will lead a team of expert professionals who possess a wealth of contractual knowledge and experience in the management of contractual issues and disputes, providing authoritative expert advice to senior managers and project delivery teams across the country.
The team is a centre of excellence for advice on disputes, dispute avoidance and associated training. The role will see you leading the managers within your team in the development and implementation of improvements to the commercial governance of projects through increased commercial awareness, understanding and collaboration with colleagues across the organisation to assist the development of commercial capability within the Division.
We invite applications from candidates who champion continuous improvement and drive a ‘best in class’ approach – the successful candidate will be an active positive contributor at divisional and directorate level, driving the development and positioning of the Commercial Resolution team within the wider business.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead and develop the Commercial Resolution Managers in managing crystallized and emerging disputes across all Highways England divisions, giving timely initial and final advice.
- Lead the team in the resolution of contractual issues and disputes; provide expert support to the team in the preparation of advice papers as directed on matters related to dispute and commercial settlement handling within Highways England.
- Represent the resolution team at the Highways England’s Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC); to own the authoring of resolution papers including authorisation of mandates for any commercial settlements.
- Act as a source of authoritative advice on contract administration, NEC suite of contracts at an expert level, analysis, related intelligence and opportunities for contract performance improvement.
- Provision of advice and case management through legal proceedings
- Provision of advice and support on the merits of possible claims against suppliers and Highways England.
- Manage the available resources to deliver challenging targets.
- Drive improvements in health and safety performance ensuring effective practice is promulgated to staff and partners and carry out any tasks identified to the post in support of Organisational Health & Safety.
To be successful
- Professional qualification - RICS, CInstCES, ICE, CIArb or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience of using civil engineering contracts and contract law
- Knowledge and experience of alternative forms of dispute resolution and legal escalation
- Significant knowledge of contract management in a highways and/or construction related environment
- Significant and demonstrable experience of leading and managing a commercial team at a senior level
- A track record of delivering successful commercial outcomes, linked to the ability to develop constructive working relationships within and across teams and suppliers
- Proven negotiation skills with the ability to engage and effectively influence colleagues and stakeholders at all levels and with differing technical understanding.
A bit about us
There’s never been a better time to join our Commercial and Procurement team.
We’re a growing, vibrant team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You’ll be involved in ensuring that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number HIG04956.
To apply online click here.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.