For over 50 years we have used our imagination to create the best places, state-of-the-art buildings, thriving communities and ingenious infrastructure solutions. Our journey has taken us across the globe, from Australia to Asia, the Americas and Europe. And along the way we have set new standards by challenging conventional thinking for the better. What makes us different is that we understand and can deliver the whole process – or just part of it – from Investment to Development to Construction.
But most importantly, with everything we do, we leave a positive sustainable legacy for future generations to enjoy…
We are currently recruiting for a Legal Counsel to join the Lendlease Construction business. This is an opportunity for a strategic thinking construction lawyer to join a growing legal team supporting the European Construction and Consulting business at a top global construction, property and real estate firm.
The role of Legal Counsel will work with the Head of Legal - Development, Company Secretariat and other Legal Counsel to provide legal support for development projects and transactions for Property Europe.
- Deliver outcomes which are: solutions focussed; commercially astute; aligned to business strategy; and efficiently delivered using internal and external resources.
- Have an attitude characterised by being customer and client focussed (both internal and external)
- Proactivity in relation to adding value to the business; collaboration and co-operation with the business and other legal teams in other regions
- Flexibility and adaptability in thinking and working
- Supportiveness of change management processes driving efficiencies and best practice; and a focus on teamwork and a collaborative approach to decision-making.
- Work closely with Lendlease Tax, Finance and all other relevant ‘central functions’ to ensure that transactions are delivered in an efficient and effective manner.
- Champion and implement the Legal model and associated policies and procedures for instructing and managing external counsel in Europe.
- Develop positive and productive working relationships with internal stakeholders and external law firms.
- Implement all policies and procedures relating to the use and management of external firms for Lendlease
- Manage budgets for external legal resources.
- Ensure legal advice contributes to the commercial soundness of Property Europe decisions in relation to matters such as project structure, joint ventures, development agreements, financing etc.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of relevant business plan, key business drivers and stakeholders, and new and ongoing corporate initiatives as appropriate.
- Proactively support desired outcomes rather than primarily reacting or responding to incidents or crises.
- Keep abreast of best legal practices within the industry and external to industry and where appropriate apply to the Property team (in conjunction with other teams as appropriate).
- Deliver proactive, strategic, high quality and accurate legal advice in a user-friendly way.
- Develop people management skills, project management skills and negotiation skills.
- Contribute to engendering a performance culture where accountability, ownership and empowerment are valued.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of an environment of trust, openness and respect, collaborating effectively, and contributing to the growth and success of the Property Legal team.
- Champion and role model the Lendlease Core Values of respect, integrity, innovation, collaboration excellence and trust to enhance team culture and performance.
- Qualified as a solicitor or equivalent in other common law jurisdiction with strong academic background.
- Project management skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Strong writing and business case development skills.
- Strong business acumen and communication skills.
- Minimum 6 years (for qualified lawyers) post qualification experience preferably in a major law firm and/or as in-house counsel.
- Experience in major urban regeneration projects, communities’ projects, apartment projects, commercial (office and industrial) projects, retail property projects, acquisitions and disposals of land, entities and portfolio transactions.
- Experience in aspects of investment management legal issues including capital raising, trust issues, management of external boards, property acquisition and disposal, entity acquisition and disposal, establishment of new vehicles, unitholder issues, conflicts of interest etc.
- Experience in relevant ancillary legal areas including construction, planning, real estate finance, litigation, insolvency.
- 25 days’ annual leave + option to purchase or sell up to one week’s annual leave per holiday year
- Wellbeing days
- Private medical health insurance
- Mental health support
- Pension scheme, including access to sustainable and ethical investment funds
- Life assurance
- Flexible benefits scheme, including sustainable and climate-friendly options
- Family support
- Volunteering opportunities, including an annual Community Day
- Employee networks; strong focus on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
To apply online click here.
We aspire to create a diverse workforce by recruiting suitably qualified candidates from a range of backgrounds regardless of age, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin or colour, sex, trans- gender status, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marital or civil partnership, or any other group who face disadvantage in our society. As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity we have invested in the external verification for equality, diversity and inclusion and have achieved the Equality Assured Standard accreditation and the National Equality Standard.
We particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.
We build careers, develop skills and invest in people. Imagine what more you can do here.
Lendlease is committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer of choice by engaging, enabling and empowering our people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. Inclusion sets us all up for success and we particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.