Joining nmcn will open a door full of opportunities, where our people are nurtured for success and empowered to build their own adventure. We believe in your development, potentiality and growth. We aspire to be industry leading with renewed focus on having a positive impact on everything we touch.
We work in partnership and collaboration with our customers, to deliver major built environment and critical national infrastructure projects across the UK. Our specialist engineering and construction teams bring multi-sector innovation and technical skill – from building and highways, to large-scale water networks and treatment plants.
Reporting to the Commercial Manager, the Quantity Surveyor will work alongside the Contract Delivery Team to ensure the contractual control, cost management, profitability and cash management of Civil Engineering, Mechanical / Electrical and Combined schemes, predominantly in the water industry.
What you’ll be doing day to day
- Issue sub-contract tender packages and undertake contractual evaluation of the tender returns
- Attend post tender and pre-contract meetings.
- Assess contract risk and work with the site team to develop and manage mitigation plans.
- Undertake cost to complete reviews with the contract delivery teams.
- Attend internal and external commercial review meetings.
- Negotiating with suppliers and subcontractors.
- Manage the commercial aspects of subcontract accounts from procurement to interim and final account agreement.
- Final account negotiation achieving the best possible outcome for nmcn.
- Preparation of / assistance with the evaluation and submission of claims for variation works.
- Working with the commercial and operational teams to strive for continuous improvement.
- Maximising value and minimising cost, ensuring that appropriate controls are in place to monitor and manage the operating cost base.
- Developing and issuing of cost reporting as requested by the client in relation to spend forecasts and identifying the variance between actual costs against forecasts within activities.
- Working with the operational teams to deliver and manage performance against the Profit Improvement Plan.
- Manage commercial performance against business targets and Framework KPI’s.
- Ensure that the delivery team are briefed and have sufficient commercial support to monitor and react to budget variances.
- Promote a culture of integration, continuous improvement and use of best practice across the client base.
- Ensure that the group commercial policies are adhered to and that the requirements of legislation are met
The experience and attributes we’re looking for in a candidate
- Contracting background (Engineering)
- Full working knowledge of the NEC3 suite of contracts
- Understanding Contractual clauses and identifying risk/onerous conditions prior to engaging in contract with client
- WIP/Cash management
- CTC Management
- P&L reporting
- CVR’S and forecasting
- Change control (EW’s and CE’s)
- Delay and Disruption
- Applications for payment
- Risk and Opportunities management
- Driving profit improvement via the project teams.
- Supplier/Sub-Contractor management
- Working to deadlines
- Water Industry Experience
- Good written and oral communication with Client, Colleagues and Supply Chain (Building relationships)
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Experience in a fast paced, national and multi-site business
- Self starter who has the ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
What we can offer you
• Competitive Salary
• Company car / Car allowance
• 25 days holiday + bank holidays
• Holiday trading scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• Perks at work scheme (discount from high street retailers)
• Free eye test vouchers
• Employee share scheme
• 3x life assurance
• Free Parking
• Flexible Working
• 5% enhanced pension contribution
To apply online click here.
Please note – we may have to close applications to this role sooner than anticipated based on the number of applications received.