JSM is a utilities service provider specialising in the delivery of integrated power and communications solutions. It is a private equity backed business that is rapidly growing with expected turnover of £120m in 2022. Since inception in 1998 JSM have aspired to develop long term relationships with all clients. Together with the ethos of providing quality and competitively priced solutions have delivered a significant number of infrastructure projects for industry leading energy and communications companies across the UK.
JSM’s reputation within the utilities industry for delivery has enabled us to secure main contractor status with a number of clients throughout the fast communications and Electricity Supply Infrastructure sectors.
JSM own and operate its own vehicle fleet and plant ensuring full control, compliance and cost efficiencies whilst enabling fast deployment, mobilisation and flexibility.
About the role
An exciting position has arisen for a Quantity Surveyor within JSM’s Power Division. This is a full-time role working from our Head Office, based in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire.
We are offering a competitive salary and great benefits depending on experience and qualifications.
The role of the Quantity Surveyor is to assist in managing cost effectiveness from the initial stages of the project to the final costs. This will include responsibility to minimise the costs of the project and enhance value for money whilst working with the team to ensure that the project meets all legal and quality assurance requirements
- There will be a need to liaise with our clients in dealing with applications, negotiating, and agreeing variations and producing cash flow information.
- The role will require you to be IT literate and experienced in working with MS Office and other applications and Cost Control Systems.
- Management of Subcontractors, including negotiation of rates, reconciliation of tender / Subcontractor rates, agreeing variations and assessing applications.
- Tender Submissions which include preparing, negotiating, and analysing costs for tenders, review of terms and conditions, clarifying tenders preparing subcontract tender packages if required, evaluate subcontract responses
- Contract administration through preparation of monthly valuations, variations control, arranging for payment, contract administration and preparation and assessment of claims if require
- Cost reporting which will include preparing monthly reports analysing cost v value for our monthly CVR’s.
Key skills and Experience:
- To promote the services of JSM whilst carrying out your duties to assist in creating new business
- Proactive problem solving.
- Maintain an up to date understanding of technical, contractual, and commercial developments
- Previous experience of civil engineering and utility contracts at a Quantity Surveyor Level
- Commercial support to Project Managers and Site Agents
- Ownership of assigned Contracts, responsible for ensuring Contract administration in accordance with the company Integrated Management System (IMS) and Contract Terms & Conditions
- Attendance at company and external Contract Handover, Progress Review and Operational meetings
- Site visits and progress review meetings as required
- Customer aware and innovative, capable of maximising contract benefits for mutual and long-term benefit
- Track record or exceeding business targets and KPIs.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems at an early stage.
- Able to lead, set up and manage site-based commercial and reporting systems.
- A ‘Hands on’ approach with proven ability to run own jobs.
- Accurate with good attention to detail and highly organised.
- Ability to bring together the operational and commercial staff to work as a unit.
- A competent negotiator, skilled communicator.
- IT literate and experienced in working with MS Office and other applications and Cost Control Systems (e.g., Evision)
- Experience of the standard forms of contract within the industry, i.e., JCT, NEC, Bespoke contracts.
- A Minimum of eight years’ experience in the role of a Quantity Surveyor.
To apply online click here.