George Forbes, 62, was working for Graeme W Cheyne (Builders) Ltd refurbishing flats on Holburn Street in the city on 11 November 2008 when he attempted to move a redundant electricity power supply, known as a fuse cut-out, because he needed to fit new plasterboard behind it.
Unknown to Forbes, the fuse cut-out was still live and connected to a 415 volt cable when he touched it.
The Health and Safety Executive investigation revealed that the cable was twisted, causing a short-circuit that created enough energy to melt the cable and create a small explosion.
Cheyne was fined £9,000 and ordered to pay Forbes £4,000.
Aberdeen Sheriff Court heard that Forbes suffered burns to his face and his left hand. While he recovered and returned to work a few weeks later, he was extremely lucky not to have been electrocuted.
Following the case, HSE Inspector Liz Standen said: “It’s lucky Mr Forbes was not electrocuted or more seriously hurt when the 415 volt cable blew up in his face in what was an entirely avoidable incident.
“Graeme W Cheyne (Builders) Ltd, should have checked that all redundant electrical services on the property had been proven to be dead by a competent person before working on or near them.
“It is extremely dangerous to make assumptions that electrical equipment is safe to work with.”