The ambious upgrade project at the red brick university will be delivered as a series of projects ranging from £300,000 refurbishment packages to £60m new build jobs.
Plans are still at an early stage and the university has just started the hunt to find an architect to lead a multi disciplinary design team.
University modernisation plan
- Refurbish 1961, 10-storey science building to increase density of occupation and reduce carbon footprint.
- Refurbish 1967, seven storey Science building to improve the environmental performance of the building
- Develop two existing 1990s buildings to develop a new base for the provision of business MBA programmes.
- Refurbish traditionally styled brick-built, 1961, seven storey building (10,400 sq m).
- Refurbish all or part of a Grade II listed, early 1900s set of buildings (20,500 sq m).
- Refurbish a late Victorian University office and teaching accommodation to provide three high quality residential units for use by visiting academics
- Build 200-bed conference building