Chigwell Construction pulls out of Rok deal

Grant Prior 13 years ago
Share

Essex contractor Chigwell Construction has decided not to go ahead with plans to bid for the remaining Rok social housing contracts in and around London.

Chigwell bosses were talking to the administrator about the possibility of taking on part of the remaining Rok operations which have not been closed by PwC.

But managing director Dean Floyd told the Enquirer: “Having just completed a full review and carried out substantial due diligence, the Board have decided not to proceed with the remaining contracts that remain available.”

Chigwell is the latest in a long-line of contractors to pull-out of a deal for parts of Rok after seeing the state of the company’s books.

One contractor said: “It’s no co-incidence that the only deal done was for £7m for Mansell.

“You are talking about a firm that was turning over hundreds of millions but a closer look has revealed to everyone what a state the business was in.”

The news came as the Financial Times reported that Rok’s former finance director Ashley Martin warned the directors that its public statements risked misleading investors by failing to identify the scale of its problems.

The FT claimed the board of directors was contacted by Martin, at the time the suspended finance director, after Rok released a trading statement on August 11 that said it was “confident about the outlook” for its core maintenance and improvements business.

Martin is believed to have raised “serious” concerns about whether the company had adequately disclosed a significant fall in the forecast profitability for the maintenance and improvement business.

Martin is understood to have told the board it was failing to inform investors as to the true expected performance of the group and it risked creating a false market in Rok’s shares.

But the company took a different view on its prospects and reiterated its confidence about M&I, which was the largest source of profit for Rok during the first half of this year.

The warning came less than three months before Rok was put into administration.

The FT contacted former board members to ask if they felt, in hindsight, that the concerns had been adequately addressed.

In response to questions about how the board dealt with Martin’s concerns, lawyers representing Garvis Snook, Rok’s former chief executive and the chairman Stephen Pettit said: “The board took these assertions very seriously and so initiated a detailed and thorough investigation.

“The investigation was led by a senior independent non-executive director. The conclusions of the investigation were that the assertions made by Ashley Martin could not be substantiated and that the board acted properly and with due care in the announcements made to the market.”

Latest news

London £3bn housing framework out to tender

SMEs allocated slots on London Construction Programme housing framework refresh
20 mins ago

BAM wins first major RAAC school rebuild

Contractor seals £46m deal for St Leonards school in Durham
53 mins ago

Failed strip out specialist owes £1.5m to supply chain

More than 100 subcontractors and suppliers left with unpaid bills by Type Ten Limited
2 hours ago

Councils to turn screw on building owners over fire safety upgrades

Government tells councils to step up legal action against rogue building owners
1 hour ago

Green light for £300m Fenland energy from waste scheme

Wisbech incinerator will generate 50MW from half a million tonnes of waste
15 hours ago

Multiplex starts on 50-storey Thames tower

Developer green lights construction of latest phase of £3bn Bankside Yards scheme
21 hours ago

McLaren lodges fresh Reading Broad Street Mall plan

Town centre scheme will deliver 600 homes in four towers
1 day ago

Beard bags £24.5m Bristol office revamp

Construction to start in April
54 mins ago

SMEs star in £3.2bn social housing upkeep deal

Around 85% of Efficiency North's framework winners are local firms
1 day ago

Scottish NHS new building projects delayed for two years

Spending clampdown hits over a dozen planned projects
1 day ago

Balfour M25 workers hold strike ballot

Motorway maintenance crews unhappy with 3.4% pay rise offer
1 day ago

Rainsford Contracts acquires M&E specialist

Expanded contractor will have turnover of £45m
1 day ago

Statom expands with launch of Northern HQ

RC frames specialist now targeting jobs in Scotland and north of England
2 days ago

High Court dismisses Stonehenge tunnel challenge

Judge quashes legal challenge against Government consent for £1.7bn job
2 days ago

£1.5bn Teesside carbon capture scheme consented

Final investment decision expected this year for construction start
2 days ago

First viaduct steel section installed at HS2’s complex junction job

Victor Buyck Steel Construction install first 300t viaduct section
2 days ago

Sister scaffold firms file administration notices

BCM Scaffolding Services and Scaffteq West employ 100 people between them
2 days ago

McLaughlin & Harvey suffers £8.6m loss

Cost inflation and Scottish landfill tax legislation hit Antrim-based group
2 days ago

Regulator opens probe into National Highways delivery

ORR concerned about 'dip in performance' on capital projects
2 days ago

Sir Robert McAlpine chief Paul Hamer exits

Hamer replaced as CEO by former Lendlease Europe boss Neil Martin
5 days ago

Unite Students to build £250m Newcastle scheme

Work to start this summer on revamp of Castle Leazes site
2 days ago

Britcon poaches Tilbury Douglas business development chief

Don Stewart joins Britcon board as strategic director
2 days ago

Building control system on verge of collapse

Calls to delay new registration scheme
5 days ago

Go-ahead for UK’s largest mass timber structure neighbourhood

Visionary 685-home sustainable village will be built in Lewes, East Sussex
5 days ago

£90m Manchester zig-zag library approved

Work to start this summer on iconic city centre building
5 days ago

Mace clear to start £34m weather-watching HQ job

Planning granted for European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts
5 days ago

Ford Dagenham site revamp to hit nearly 4,000 homes

Latest phases approved for £1bn Beam Park redevelopment
5 days ago

Sisk names new data centres regional director

John Hennessey appointed to lead expansion
6 days ago

Balfour starts £171m Sussex Uni student DBFO job

West Slope Residences will provide 1,900 bedrooms
6 days ago

Director and site manager sentenced after labourer crushed

Worker killed during demolition on renovation scheme
6 days ago

Contractor services