Michael Murton, 36, of Bewdley, near Kidderminster, instructed contractors to remove sprayed coating containing brown asbestos from steel beams while refurbishing Scott’s nightclub.
Workers were exposed to the deadly substance between 11 and 24 February 2010 at 33-35 Brook Street, Wrexham.
A Health and Safety Executive investigation found Murton had failed to survey the property before the work started.
This led to the unlicensed and uncontrolled removal of the asbestos-containing material and its subsequent spread in and around the building.
Murton pleaded guilty to a string of safety charges at Mold Magistrates Court where he was given a suspended sentence of eight months and ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service and to pay costs of £10,000 over two years.
HSE Inspector, Debbie John, said: “Had Mr Murton surveyed the property for the presence of asbestos prior to the start of construction work, the sprayed coating would have been identified and arrangements made for its controlled removal by an HSE-licensed contractor.
“Instead, Mr Murton; construction workers; waste management contractors and others were exposed to potentially deadly asbestos-containing materials.”