Worker catches on fire at London refurb job

Grant Prior 13 years ago
Share

A construction worker sustained serious burns in an electrical explosion after cutting through a 415 volt electrical cable with a hammer and chisel.

His colleagues put out the flames when they discovered the victim with the top half of his body on fire.

City of London magistrates court heard that Havering, Essex contractor Pineview Interiors had failed to carry out basic health and safety checks.

The court heard that on April 30 2010 the injured man was working on a site at Leonard Street, Islington.

The employee was working as a subcontractor on a large construction project which involved the refurbishment of three adjacent buildings to include apartments and commercial use.

At the time of the incident, a 415 volt 3 phase temporary electrical supply had been provided to the site.

The court heard that on the morning of the incident the worker approached his supervisor to explain that the electrical cable would need to be removed so that plaster board could be installed.

The Health and Safety Executive investigation revealed that Pineview Interiors Ltd undertook very limited enquiries as to whether this cable was in fact still live.

Pineview workers then proceeded with its removal on the false assumption that the cable being described must have been one of the old, redundant cables from the pre-existing installation.

The worker climbed a step ladder with a hammer and chisel to attempt to remove the cable.

After a couple of hits, the court heard that the worker recalls waking up on the floor with another employee putting flames out from the top half of his body.

The worker was taken to hospital, suffering burns to between 30 to 35 percent of his body. He has had to have a skin graft from his legs to his body and arms. It is expected to take up to two years for his skin to recover.

Pineview Interiors Limited of Rainham, Havering pleaded guilty to safety breaches and was fined a total of £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,183.

Speaking after the prosecution, HSE Inspector Dominic Elliss said: “The defendant company were aware that their works within 9-15 Leonard Street would require the removal of an electrical head.

“They were, or should have been, aware that this well labelled system remained live at the time that they instructed their employees to commence work in this location.

“They were made aware of the intention to remove this electrical head by their employees who held no electrical training or relevant experience.

“The defendant company then allowed these operatives to attempt to remove the live electrical system with nothing but the most cursory attempt at seeking confirmation that the system was in fact dead.

“As a direct result of the defendant’s failure to identify or control the risk of short circuit their employee suffered extensive burn injuries from the resulting explosion.”

Latest news

Geoffrey Osborne files administration notice

Contractor in talks to save parts of the business
18 hours ago

RG Group signs £121m Newcastle rental homes job

Developer Olympian Homes advances 519 flats plan at Pottery Lane site
15 hours ago

Winners named for £260m Manchester Uni framework

B&K, Henry Bros, Graham, Robertson and Vinci among new line-up
18 hours ago

Shed specialist Benniman rides out market lull

Worcestershire warehouse builder says industrial and logistics work is picking up again
18 hours ago

Another contractor cleared after high profile immigration raid

Adana Construction employees were working legally on site swooped on by Home Office
18 hours ago

McAleer & Rushe wants to meet new London suppliers

Contractor holding Meet the Buyer event in London: Register now
18 hours ago

McAlpine signs £500m Broadgate dual towers deal

Work to start on iconic 36-storey and 21-storey towers
2 days ago

Worker rescued from collapsed four metre deep trench

Fire crews take six hours to save trapped builder near Blackwall Tunnel
2 days ago

Gove puts another major building scheme on hold

Secretary of State starts another planning fight after M&S defeat
3 days ago

Greenwich University tenders £300m framework

Up to five firms will carry out upgrade and newbuild work at three campuses
2 days ago

Work starts on Manchester 26-storey Obsidian tower

Contractor Domis starts Salboy's 10th Manchester scheme in seven years
2 days ago

Race for £1.3bn West Midlands social homes framework

The Community Housing Group reboots tender race for new build housing
2 days ago

Delancey submits £400m King’s Cross lab plans

200,000 sq ft lab/office project will be built above railway and tube tunnels just 4.5m below
2 days ago

Winners revealed for £150m fire safety framework

New deal will help organisations comply with the Building Safety Act
2 days ago

Sellar plans £500m City tower next to Walkie-Talkie

Consultation starts on London 60 Gracechurch Street tower
3 days ago

Severfield ends year on high with record order book

Orders top £500m with strong future pipeline of opportunities ahead
3 days ago

Second senior director exits National Highways

Commercial director Malcolm Dare set to move on to new role
3 days ago

New scheme fuels London lab building boom

Plans in for 160,000 sq ft Whitechapel scheme near Royal London hospital
3 days ago

Contract race starts for next £155m section of A9 dualling

Prior Information Notice published for Tay Crossing to Ballinluig stretch
3 days ago

£55m Sheffield build-to-rent scheme approved

Demolition to start later this year for 158-flat Sheffield Garden project
3 days ago

London back as most expensive place to build in world

Capital leapfrogs Geneva to top costliest construction rankings
4 days ago

Gas supplier Regent to buy TClarke for £90m

£491m turnover listed building services specialist to be sold
4 days ago

Steel contractor Billington launches into bridge market

Steelwork firm hires staff from failed architectural and bridge specialist SH Structures
4 days ago

McGee employees benefit from rise in profits

Pre-tax profit doubles boosting payouts for Employee Ownership Trust
4 days ago

Lendlease veteran is latest new McAlpine director

Paul Sims joins as Operations Director after 40 years at rival contractor
4 days ago

Costain signs site labour supply deal with four firms

Contractor to use only a quartet of providers for temporary labour supply
4 days ago

BAM go-ahead for Leeds 200,000 sq ft office

Latitude Yellow will complete final plot at Doncaster Monk Bridge site
4 days ago

VolkerFitzpatrick wins £30m logistics job

Latest deal to build five distribution units for Prologis UK
4 days ago

Trio win new Scape utilities consultancy framework

Perfect Circle, AtkinsRéalis and Arcadis win places on
4 days ago

Precast firm FP McCann cleared after immigration raid

Home Office takes no action after public raid on construction site
5 days ago

Contractor services