The first round of this year’s Construction Industry Joint Council pay talks took place on Wednesday.
But the unions were left furious after the employers came up with an opening offer of a pay freeze.
The talks will now resume on June 11 as pressure grows on contractors to soften their stance.
Last year’s deal saw a 1.5% increase following a two-year standstill in wage rates.
Steve Murphy, General Secretary of construction union Ucatt, said: “The unions and construction workers have been treated with complete contempt as the employers’ side have offered absolutely nothing on any of the proposals the joint unions put forward in their pay claim.
“We have given the employers a window of opportunity to reconsider their position and there is still time for them to come to their senses and return with a realistic offer.”
John Allott, Unite’, National Officer for Construction, said: “The simple fact of the matter is that the employers don’t get it, construction workers simply can’t make ends meet.
“The employers are seeking to maintain their profits at the expense of hard working construction workers.”
Phil Davies, GMB’s National Secretary for Construction, said: “Our members have suffered low pay for too long and now enough is enough.”