Pressure grows on Gove to speed up school building

Aaron Morby 13 years ago
Share

The Government is under mounting pressure to speed up school building as its own figures showed 4,000 schools across the country are over-subscribed.

Education secretary Michael Gove attempted to diffuse criticism over the latest survey figures by launching his department’s emergency funding programme for new schools in areas of greatest need on Friday.

The department also published provisional details on how £1.6bn spending on schools for the next two years will be split by local authority.

2013-15 Schools regional capital spend

An extra £982m investment in schools in England was unveiled by the Chancellor in the autumn statement and will be released to local authorities through the Targeted Basic Need Programme.

Local authorities will now bid for cash to build new academies, free schools or extensions to existing “good” schools in areas of acute need.

Contractors greeted the latest move as a step in the right direction. But also raised concerns about about faltering progress on procurement of 219 schools to be privately financed in the Priority Schools Building Programme.

Stephen Beechey, head of education at Wates, said: “The Priority Schools Building Programme is finally moving forward after several delays, with the winning bidders on the first two batches of schools announced earlier this year.

“This should provide several thousand more school places in key areas over the next eighteen months.

“However, the industry has been waiting since the start of 2012 for the Department for Education to make an announcement on the model which will be used to deliver the 219 schools earmarked for procurement under the private finance element of the PSBP – the vast majority of the 261 schools set for work under the Programme.

“We can see from today’s figures that over 4,000 primary and secondary schools across the country are already over-subscribed, and the situation is only going to get worse with pupil numbers set to increase over the next few years.

“It is therefore crucial to receive a final decision on the private finance element of PSBP as soon as possible to allow the procurement process to start.”

After several procurement delays, the latest timetable for procurement to start is this Spring.

Unveiling new funding allocations on Friday, Gove said the capital funding budgets had been carved up for the first time using the annual school capacity survey showing areas of greatest education need.

“Until now, we have not had detailed information about the specific areas within local authorities where the demand for school places is expected to increase. This meant that we could not target funding in the most effective way possible to meet pockets of demand within local authorities.

“As a result of these changes, the distribution of funding to local authorities for additional school places should be fairer, more accurate and better value for money. Some local authorities will see their funding go up, while others will see funding levels go down.”

Government school funding plan
£1.6 bn of basic need funding for 2013-15 to local authorities to provide additional school places
£595m of maintenance capital for 2013-14 to local authorities
£392m of maintenance capital for academies for 2013-14
£154m of locally-coordinated VA programme capital for 2013-14 to support the maintenance capital needs of voluntary-aided schools
£200m of devolved formula capital for schools£65m for sixth-form college maintenance and devolved formula capital funding for 2013-14
£80m basic need funding for 16 to 19 demographic pressures for 2013-15

£15m funding for Independent Specialist Providers for 2013-15.

Latest news

Ardmore Construction Ltd falls into administration

Move isolates fire safety claims, leaving main Ardmore group free to grow profitability
2 days ago

Aston Villa gets go-ahead for £100m North Stand expansion

Project to modernise 1897-built ground ahead of EURO 2028
2 days ago

Quartet wins £1.75bn Midlands Rail Hub upgrade deal

VolkerRail, Laing O’Rourke, AtkinsRéalis and Siemens team up on Birmingham upgrade
2 days ago

McLaren confirmed for £250m Cardiff arena

Robertson Property secures planning green light for 16,500-capacity venue
3 days ago

John F Hunt starts work on £150m West End office revamp

Six month strip out deal at 125 Shaftesbury Avenue
2 days ago

Former Skanska vice president to join Galliford Try

Thomas Faulkner to head up specialist services division
2 days ago

Bowmer + Kirkland snaps up office fit-out firm Denton

Acquisition gives £40m turnover interiors specialist firepower to chase bigger jobs
3 days ago

Contractors sought for £667m Welsh Water mega project

Utility tests appetite for design, build and finance for twin water treatment jobs
3 days ago

Worker killed on Mace London site

Fatal accident on major site in Brent
3 days ago

Willmott Dixon veteran takes construction COO role

Former trainee Stewart Brundell promoted after nearly 40 years at the firm
3 days ago

BSR delays dent margins at OHOB despite record sales

Turnover up 18% to £369m as pre-tax profit nudges £22m
3 days ago

Plans go in for 30-storey Preston tower

£40m scheme will be tallest residential building in Lancashire
3 days ago

Former Laing O’Rourke leader to join Skanska

James Davies to oversee key defence and health projects
3 days ago

Green light for £10bn data hub prep works in Northumberland

Enabling works to roll out over 16 months on former Blyth Power Station site
4 days ago

VolkerWessels UK profits jump as rail and marine work surges

Infrastructure contractor posts £48m pre-tax profit and stronger order book
4 days ago

Groundworks boss wins payout over gagging order

Subcontractor raised fears over asbestos on housing sites
4 days ago

B+K to start £50m rebuild of Northumberland school

Cramlington Learning Village redevelopment contract signed off
4 days ago

New Homes Accelerator targets six new major sites

Construction to be sped-up on another 12,000 homes
4 days ago

Network Rail spend down as CP7 shift bites contractors

Firms warn of inflation squeeze and reprofiled workbanks
5 days ago

Wall of six towers planned for North London strip site

Hendon Goods Yard site plan for line of resi blocks rising to 29 storeys
5 days ago

SCF opens door to single stage tenders for first time

Gen-6 Southern Construction Framework to widen scope for smaller jobs
5 days ago

M&J Evans lifts profits as eastward regional push pays off

Groundworks specialist sharpens tender strike rate and grows pipeline to £504m
5 days ago

CHIC confirms 33 winners on £1bn housing framework

Equans, Guildmore, Seddon and Wates land spots on new four-year deal
5 days ago

Trade body joins attack on CITB over funding changes

Fit out specialists describe move as a "kick in the teeth"
5 days ago

Carey demolition cartel claim settled with developer

Legal action withdrawn after both sides agree settlement
1 week ago

Strabag seals financial close for £3bn HARP project

Work to start next year on North West's Haweswater aqueduct upgrade
1 week ago

Civils winners revealed for £12bn National Grid high voltage work

Contractor wins complete £59bn investment programme
1 week ago

Watch giant HS2 bridge move complete ahead of schedule

Video highlights engineering feat in Birmingham
1 week ago

Lee Marley posts record revenue despite project delays

Brickwork contractor weathers hiatus in high-rise starts to deliver fifth year of growth
1 week ago

Latest contract winners in military living revamp

First phase sites allocated under new approach to Single Living Accommodation
1 week ago