The contractors will provide a range of services including:
- works and building projects
- management of prison stores
- waste disposal and collection
- energy and environmental management
- escorting of contractors and their vehicles
Each company was selected as a preferred bidder for two separate geographical areas following a competition process that is set to save taxpayers around £115 million over a 5 year period.
The preferred bidders are:
- Lot 1 – Amey – North East, North West, Yorkshire and Humberside
- Lot 2 – Amey – East Midlands, West Midlands, Wales
- Lot 3 – Carillion – East of England, London
- Lot 4 – Carillion – South West, South Central, Kent and Sussex
The new providers are expected to start delivering services on 1 June 2015 following a period of mobilisation.