Didcot recovery operation to last “many weeks”

Grant Prior 8 years ago
Share

Emergency services have confirmed it will take “many, many weeks” to recover the bodies of three people still missing following the Didcot A Power Station collapse.

Emergency services are using hi-tech equipment at the scene
Emergency services are using hi-tech equipment at the scene

The building suddenly came down last Tuesday killing Coleman and Company worker Michael Collings and trapping three of his colleagues.

The boiler house structure was being prepared for a blowdown scheduled for this weekend.

The families of the three missing people have now returned home from the site as the complex recovery operation continues.

Assistant Chief Constable, Scott Chilton, said: “The recovery of the bodies and site investigation will be a very complex operation and I envisage it will be many, many weeks before it is completed.

“I know that this makes it particularly difficult for the families involved, as they await the recovery of their loved ones.

“Our priority remains to return them to their families and we continue to support the families as needed.

“We are working closely with the Health and Safety Executive to establish the cause of the incident.”

Chief Fire Officer Dave Etheridge added: “Our thoughts very much continue to be with the families of those who have lost their lives and I would like to reassure them that we are doing all we can to return their loved ones to them.

“I believe the emergency service teams working on site are the best in the world and know they are using their experience and expertise to the limits.”

didcot1

The missing demolition workers are buried beneath a mountain of rubble

Coleman and Company Managing Director Mark Coleman said: “It is now one week since this terrible accident and I would like to express our deep sorrow at this heartbreaking time for our colleagues, and their families and friends.

“Nothing can prepare you for, nor are there words to express, our devastation at the events of the last week.

“All our hearts go out to the family and friends of those who have died and are still, tragically, missing.

“At this time, our over-riding priority is to support those families affected by this terrible incident.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the rescue and emergency services who rushed to the scene and brought with them world-class expertise in facing this unprecedented and hugely-challenging environment.

“The overwhelming support we have received from people who work for and with us – and above all from our client RWE – has been extraordinary.

“It has touched us deeply and we are extremely grateful for all the kind words and offers of practical help we have received.

“Finally, I would like to thank the media for their co-operation and ask them to continue to respect the privacy of the families involved and all those who are currently working on the site.”

Latest news

Early bond release key to averting industry surety crisis

Contractors must put pressure on clients to release bonds promptly
3 days ago

Over 1000 building safety cladding retrofits completed

25% of safety retrofits finished seven years after Grenfell disaster
3 days ago

Steel import delays make Rangers miss kick-off

Construction work at Ibrox will not be finished by start of next season
3 days ago

Lidl looking for new contractors for store building plans

Sign up for events in Newcastle, Glasgow, Birmingham and Southampton
3 days ago

Utility firm GTC revs up for ground source heat pump era

Contractor and heat pump maker strikes ground-breaking deal
3 days ago

Amey switches kit supplier to Speedy from HSS

New plant and equipment hire deal worth £25m a year
4 days ago

Clients under spotlight after bond bombshell

Contractors call for action to avoid project delays
4 days ago

M&E specialist Lorne Stewart falls into the red

Parent group suffers £2.8m loss in face of cost inflation and insolvencies
4 days ago

Four men rushed to hospital after site accident

Eye-witnesses report a wall was knocked over on Edinburgh site
4 days ago

World’s tallest scissor lift set for UK sites

Hire Safe Solutions partners with Dingli to supply lift with working height of 37 metres
4 days ago

Barhale wins £36m East London sewer remediation

Northern Outfall Sewer in West Ham runs above railway lines in the city
4 days ago

Weston Homes thumbs-up for £220m Essex homes scheme

Colchester 600-home Viridis scheme gains outline consent
4 days ago

Balfour seals £192m deal for trio of Scottish substations

Work to start this summer to enhance electrical transmission in Argyll
5 days ago

Construction bond bombshell as major player quits market

QBE currently provides cover for 20 of the industry's 30 biggest contractors
5 days ago

United Utilities names another 18 winners for £2.7bn water spend

Water giant cuts out large management contractors in latest spending round
6 days ago

Green light for £130m Dundee Eden project

Former gasholder site to be transformed into green house
5 days ago

Four tower scheme in Glasgow gets green light

Go-ahead for major mixed-use scheme at Central Quay
5 days ago

‘Green collar’ construction workers earning £134,000

Cost consultant T&T says insulation and heat pump trades earning £70 an hour in London
5 days ago

£65m Trafford Waters resi blocks approved

X1 Developments plans over 200 homes in 13- and 8-storey blocks
5 days ago

Over 100 firms win £1.5bn ICN housing framework

Great Places Housing Group names key partners for new homes programme
6 days ago

Steelwork firm went down owing £4.5m to suppliers

Subcontractors left holding unpaid invoices from SH Structures
6 days ago

Scottish civils firm to buy stake in piling specialist

Advance Construction in talks for 25% stake in Northern Piling Ltd
6 days ago

RSK secures £500m for fresh acquisitions spree

Acquisitive group aims to buy another 200 businesses by 2030
6 days ago

Beal Homes gets green light for £105m Humber scheme

Work to start on more than 500 homes in North East Lincolnshire
6 days ago

RED wins £20m East London office refurb

Grade II listed Victorian building to be upgraded to Cat A offices
6 days ago

Employee-owned Neilcott staff share £250,000 payout

Employee-owned building contractor sales jump 38% to £139m
7 days ago

Geoffrey Osborne supply chain hit for £26m

More than 500 suppliers and subcontractors left holding unpaid bills
1 week ago

Race for £800m South West Wales framework

Up to 16 firms face fight to renew spots on regional contractors framework
1 week ago

SME contractors agree 4% pay rise for site workers

Workers will also get an extra day of holiday
1 week ago

South East expansion paying off for Meldrum Group

Turnover up to £55m as North East based contractor expands national coverage
7 days ago

Contractor services