200 workers put at risk from asbestos on office conversion job

Grant Prior 3 years ago
Share

Barroerock Construction Limited has been fined £750,000 after repeated asbestos failings.

Canterbury Crown Court heard how the HSE carried out two investigations of working practices at a site in 2013 and 2014 in Ashford, Kent where Barroerock were converting a former nine-storey office building into flats.

The first investigation arose from a routine inspection during one of HSE’s refurbishment campaigns.

The Court was told that while a refurbishment and demolition survey had been carried out the company had failed to act upon it.

This resulted in up to 40 workers being exposed to asbestos during the early demolition phase of the project.

The second investigation culminated in a visit to the site in June 2014 following complaints being made about the health and safety practices at the site.

It was found that despite engaging a licensed asbestos contractor to remove the remaining asbestos materials, dangerous practices were continuing.

In addition the company was unable to provide documentation to show that asbestos materials identified in the survey had been correctly removed.

When the work on site was halted for the second time about 160 people were working inside the building.

It was found in both HSE investigations that these incidents could have been prevented if Barroerock ensured they had effective management controls in place to avoid the risk of exposure to asbestos.

Barroerock Construction Limited of East Finchley, London pleaded guilty to breaching the CDM Regulations and were fined £750,000 and ordered to pay costs of £14,874.68.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Melvyn Stancliffe said: “The company’s failings in this case has put many workers at risk to the exposure of asbestos.

“It was clear there was an endemic failure to effectively manage the construction work on the site in a way which ensured that asbestos materials were not disturbed until removed under appropriate conditions.

“Failing to prevent the breathing in of asbestos fibres on the site is reckless.”

Latest news

Unsafe cladding replacement work a priority to continue

Latest government coronavirus construction policy update
21 hours ago

Police threaten to fine contractors on way to work

WIllmott Dixon asks subcontractors and staff to carry letters to avoid fines
2 days ago

Opinion: Official line needed now on site closures

Boris Johnson needs to spell out now exactly what construction work can continue
2 days ago

Groundworks and civils firms start mass layoffs

More than a thousand self-employed workers axed in the Midlands alone
2 days ago

Redrow loses fight to keep sites open as supplies hit

House builder pledges to re-open sites when normality returns to the supply chain
2 days ago

Balfour Beatty board follows Kier’s move to take 20% pay cut

Chief executive Leo Quinn says Balfour is facing crisis on a strong financial footing
2 days ago

Self-employed to get 80% of average monthly profit

Support scheme only open to people with a trading profit of up to £50,000
3 days ago

Coronavirus update for construction: Friday 27

The latest advice and information from industry trade bodies
2 days ago

CITB suspends training levy for three months

Full 2020 levy payment to be collected in August
3 days ago

Henry Construction Projects tops £300m turnover

London contractor trebles in size over three years
2 days ago

£100m Manchester CIS tower revamp approved

Landmark 31-storey tower refit approved as facade reaches end of design life
2 days ago

Willmott Dixon: Why we are keeping sites open

Contractor promises to keep workers safe and look after supply chain
3 days ago

Carey bosses: “We won’t risk health of our people”

"We will never ask our people to put their health at risk in the name of work"
3 days ago

“Turn up on site or else” – majors turn screw on subcontractors

Specialists threatened with LAD claims as Tier Ones "bully" supply chain
3 days ago

Coronavirus crisis brings out best and worst of construction

Most contractors are doing their best in a crisis - while others are letting the industry down
3 days ago

BAM Contruct pauses work on all sites

BAM Nuttall civils sites still open, as building arm pauses for safety procedure review
4 days ago

Highways England orders majors to pay supply chain

Payments speeded up to Tier Ones who are told not to hoard cash
4 days ago

Coronavirus update for construction: Thursday 26

The latest advice and information from industry trade bodies
3 days ago

JCB extends factory shutdown until May

JCB directors forgo salaries in C-19 crisis
4 days ago

McAlpine latest contractor to close its sites

Contracts included refurbishment of Buckingham Palace
4 days ago

Costain Chief Operating Officer joins Keltbray

Darren James joins specialist after 30 years at Costain
4 days ago

Keep two metres apart and you can carry on building

Government says sites can still operate as long as social distancing observed
4 days ago

Morgan Sindall cancels dividend

Contractor supplements £132m daily net cash with draw down of £180m bank facility
4 days ago

Big names start to shut sites

Mace and Multiplex shut all sites as ISG closes jobs which "cannot meet an enhanced risk profile test"
5 days ago

Michelmersh suspends brick deliveries

Brickmaker suspends production as industry shutdown widens
4 days ago

Coronavirus update for construction: Wednesday 25

The latest advice and information from industry trade bodies
4 days ago

Crossrail sites ordered to shut down

TfL tells contractors to bring sites to a safe stop as soon as possible
5 days ago

Murphy sole UK firm chasing £1.7bn Stonehenge tunnel

Trio shortlisted for A303 Amesbury to Berwick Down scheme
4 days ago

Race starts for £2.1bn Constructing West Midlands 2 deal

Balfour, Bouygues and Willmott Dixon in fight to retain places
4 days ago

Runaway cement wagon breaks out of Hanson works

Investigation launched after wagon careers for over 1km across two level crossings
4 days ago

Contractor services