The Northumberland-based group, which merged with fellow North East landlord Four Housing around two years ago, said the investment package would deliver at least 500 new homes by 2023.
Bernicia will also invest £60m into improving its existing housing stock and boost support services for its 60,000 customers who live in properties across Northumberland, North Tyneside, Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, County Durham and Hartlepool.
The £70m turnover housing provider is headquartered in Ashington and employs 550 people at four North East sites.
The £190m investment plan
• £70m funding to build at least 500 new homes
• A £60m planned programme of investments in its existing 14,000 properties
• A £50m responsive repairs programme
• £7m spend on improving the communities and neighbourhoods Bernicia manages
• New digital technology to make it easier for customers to access services
Chief Executive John Johnston said: “Bernicia is in an ideal position to help drive forward the North East’s vision for growth and prosperity, especially within the housing sector.
“Our investment strategy is an exciting opportunity for us to build on the high levels of customer satisfaction we have, delivering the high quality, affordable homes that our region badly needs now and in the future.”