Twelve local authorities and 31 housing associations have now been told they will get the cash to cover the cost of removing and replacing flammable ACM cladding on 135 buildings.
The Government refused to release details of which buildings will get the funding from the 159 identified with dangerous cladding but most are understood to be located in London.
Communities secretary James Brokenshire said: “There is nothing more important than ensuring people are safe in their homes and that is why I am pleased the £400m funding has started to be released.
“We are doing the right thing by residents and fully funding the replacement of unsafe ACM cladding in social housing buildings 18 metres or above.”
He added: “In the private sector, I want to see landlords protect leaseholders from these costs. I am pleased that a number have stepped forward to do so, including Barratt Developments, Legal & General, Taylor Wimpey, Mace and Peabody.
“However, there are some who are not engaging in this process. If they don’t, I have ruled nothing out.”
The latest figures from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government show that over 75% of social housing buildings with unsafe ACM cladding have completed remediation or are currently removing and replacing the cladding, with plans in place for the remaining 25%.
Meanwhile, it also confirmed that full details of its combustible cladding ban and how the recommendations of the Hackitt review will be implemented will be published later this year.