Engineers and lifting specialists worked through the night to oversee installation of a 170 tonne prefabricated part of the reactor’s steel containment liner.
Other major achievements at the site in 2019 included:
- Completion of the first reactor’s base
- Start of tunnelling on the three water cooling intakes deep beneath the Severn Estuary
- Completion of the 760m seawall
- Hiring of the 500th apprentice
- Construction of first permanent buildings above ground
Hinkley Point C Managing Director Stuart Crooks said: “The first big lift is another impressive achievement and I want to thank the teams who’ve worked so hard to make this possible.
“The experience from civil and nuclear construction and operation across the world at Hinkley Point C is first class and I am pleased to say that we have ended 2019 with all milestones achieved.”