McAlpine latest contractor to close its sites

Grant Prior 2 months ago
Share

Sir Robert McAlpine is the latest big name contractor to close down its sites.

Chief executive Paul Hamer said: "We will be back building Britain’s future heritage as soon as it is safe to do so"
Chief executive Paul Hamer said: "We will be back building Britain’s future heritage as soon as it is safe to do so"

The firm is working on a host of jobs including the refurbishment of Buckingham Palace where the Enquirer understands work stopped last week after a worker tested positive for the coronavirus.

Chief executive Paul Hamer said: “Following the Government statement of 23rd March, we, like the rest of the UK, are adhering to government guidance and many of our sites and offices are now closed.

“For the Sir Robert McAlpine family and our entire team this was a very difficult action to take. Our overriding aim is always to keep all our sites open and fully operational. This is to ensure we meet our clients’ needs and are able to provide employment for the thousands of people who keep our business thriving.

“Since the start of the UK coronavirus (COVID 19) outbreak we have worked closely with our clients and project partners to do all we can to keep our people safe and our sites running.

“We introduced numerous measures to safeguard our people, including asking as many colleagues as possible to work from home to stop the spread of COVID-19 and reduce unnecessary travel.

“I am proud to say that, despite the added challenges this has brought, our project teams across the country have risen to the task and have done a fantastic job in incredibly difficult circumstances.

“However, given the most recent developments we do not believe we should be asking our people to travel on public transport.

“We cannot operate canteens on our sites; we are not classified as key workers; and upholding the social distancing rule is unfeasible on some of our projects. Because of this then we are unable to operate all sites safely and effectively whilst remaining in accordance with COVID-19 guidelines.

“We are a values-driven organisation and take our responsibilities as a UK business and community member extremely seriously. We therefore wish to do all we can to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and will be complying fully with the latest government instructions.

“As of Wednesday 25th March 2020, most of our sites will be closed to all but essential safety and security employees. The only sites that remain operational are those where it is absolutely safe to do so and where critical work, such as building hospitals continues, or where we are putting safe shutdown plans into operation.

“While this will have a detrimental impact on progress and impact heavily on our people, we recognise that this action is in the best interests of wider society. It is quite simply the right thing to do.

“Whilst some work has paused our pre-contract work to develop new projects remains on track and continues to be delivered.

“We are sorry for the disruption this will cause to the delivery of our projects. If there was an alternative solution to this problem, we would be taking it and we will keep the situation under constant review.

“Where our people can work from home, depending on childcare and isolation arrangements, they are. We have been incredibly encouraged by the can-do attitude of our people and supply chain and the sterling efforts they continue to make to help keep our business performing during this difficult time.

“Our priority, once it is permitted, is to ensure we are fully operational as quickly as possible and that the damage resulting from the current status is minimised.

“We will be back building Britain’s future heritage as soon as it is safe to do so.”

Latest news

Stepnell lifts Covid pay cuts two weeks early

Family owned contractor returns to pre-pandemic salaries
1 day ago

Laing O’Rourke office staff to face temperature checks

Contractor rolls out site screening initiative ahead of white collar workers return
1 day ago

Delay confirmed for “cash flow chaos” VAT change

Domestic reverse charge plan put back to March 2021
1 day ago

BAM signs first university pain-gain share alliance deal

£220m Sheffield Hallam alliance includes designers and FM contractor
1 day ago

Willmott Dixon praises staff and supply chain for Covid response

Contractor made 2.5% profit margin in 2019 providing strong platform for pandemic challenges
1 day ago

TfL picks consultants for £500m project framework

Costain, Mace and Lendlease feature among big multi-disciplinary firms
1 day ago

SES Engineering Services MD steps down

Jason Knights to leave Wates, once successor found
2 days ago

Government protects trade credit insurance cover

£10bn guarantee to stop the market seizing up
2 days ago

Construction occupational health scheme to close

Owner B&CE pulls plug on Constructing Better Health
1 day ago

Buyers report downturn easing after April Covid carnage

Supply chain disruptions still hampering reopened sites
2 days ago

Keep the industry updated by joining the Enquirer Directory

Membership lets construction know you are open for business now or in the future
2 years ago

Leeds civil engineering contractor collapses

Athena Civil Engineering placed into administration
2 days ago

Barhale back in profit after problem contracts loss

Civils giant bounces back after tunnelling issues on aqueduct scheme contribute to £15m loss
2 days ago

Coronavirus disruption tips Van Elle into the red

Former Galliford Try finance director to become chairman of piling specialist
2 days ago

£300m to kick-start three major London schemes

Infrastructure funding for 20,0000 homes at Brent Cross, Silvertown and Barking Riverside
2 days ago

JRL Group names new civils MD

Matt Love to lead £18m specialist piling business
3 days ago

HB Reavis acquires prime Shoreditch site

Construction to start next year on latest workplace scheme
2 days ago

Premier Inn restarts construction work on 35 sites

Hotel giant committed to long term expansion plans
3 days ago

London £130m Old Kent Road scheme approved

Work to start early next year at former Carpetright warehouse
3 days ago

Plans go in for 42 acre London food market

Billingsgate, Spitalfields and Smithfield to get a new home in Dagenham
3 days ago

Kier Highways and Seddon reinstated to Prompt Payment Code

Contractors now keeping to pledge to pay 95% of suppliers within 60 days
3 days ago

Leading brick makers to axe 600 jobs

Ibstock and Forterra restructure businesses to meet forecast fall in demand
3 days ago

London fit-out firm Square Metre in administration

Fifty jobs cut as lockdown tips £32m fit-out firm over the edge
3 days ago

Last webinar for contractors interested in £600m plant

Final procurement information event before OJEU notice next month
3 days ago

Offsite system to cut staircase construction times by 80%

New integrated balustrade system added before precast stairs lifted into place on site
4 days ago

Arup bags job to re-open Cardiff city centre

Arup plans to improve public spaces, repurposed streets and digital infrastructure
4 days ago

Hard-hat mounted cough guard will help protect site workers

New product from JSP will help keep sites safe
4 days ago
JSP Ltd

Balfour Beatty to start £355m Hull A63 scheme

All systems go for delayed Castle Street upgrade to transform Hull
4 days ago

Contractors face data danger fighting covid contract disputes

Redundancies could see project knowledge lost
4 days ago

Mace bags role on £39bn Northern Powerhouse Rail plan

Firm takes lead on project controls, project, stakeholder and commercial management
5 days ago

Contractor services