Coronavirus Job Retention scheme – update
Industry advice on the UK Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention scheme was published last week. Now further details have been added to the advice to pick up some more frequently asked questions. The updated guidance can be found here
Supply of products & materials
The Builders Merchant Federation has compiled a list of companies that are still trading and open to builders during this time. The list of open/closed Builder’s Merchants can be found here and a list of open/closed suppliers can be found here.
The Construction Products Association has surveyed their respective members to determine their operational status in response to the Covid-19 virus. A summary for the status of the CPA’s largest company members can be found here.
CITB is extending the advanced apprenticeship grant payment to include higher level apprentices in the final year of their programme and are close to completing their apprenticeship in England and Wales, or a key level within it in Scotland. This will maximise the opportunity for these learners to qualify and add value to industry – you can apply here.
Mental health support
Industry mental health charity Mates in Mind is working in partnership with the Civil Engineering Contractors Association to deliver free mental wellbeing workshops. These workshops are aimed at employees; and managers (including supervisors). The live online workshops will take place on 15,16 and 21 April and will be delivered by trained mental health practitioners. Delegates will be able to see and interact with the tutor and with each other.
Mental Wellbeing Workshop for Employees (45 mins)
- Understand how the current environment impacts our mental health and wellbeing
- Identify ways in which to spot issues in ourselves and our colleagues
- Explore how to look out for your own wellbeing as well as our co-workers Furth
- Understand how to support someone in crisis and have a better understanding of relevant professional support services available to us.
Mental Wellbeing Workshop for Managers (1hr)
- Identify the pressures facing their teams during the current climate and identify how they can affect their mental health
- Recognise how managers can spot the signs and issues and know what to say and do
- Identify how to help someone in crisis
- Provide details of organisations and support services that can provide help, information and advice
- Provide some guidance on what managers / supervisors can do to look after their own mental health
Anticipating level of interest, places are initially limited to 2 delegates per organisation. We have confirmed that furloughed employees are allowed to take part in this training without affecting their furloughed status. Book your place here
The Briefing has been prepared in collaboration between the industry’s leading trade and representative bodies: Association for Consultancy & Engineering, Builders Merchant Federation, Build UK, Chartered Institute of Building, Civil Engineering Contractors Association, Construction Industry Council, Construction Plant-hire Association, Construction Products Association, Electrical Contractors’ Association (ECA), Federation of Master Builders, National Federation of Builders, and Institution of Civil Engineers. We are grateful to Building, Construction Enquirer, Construction Manager, Construction News, Highways, Infrastructure Intelligence, and New Civil Engineer for support in distribution to the wider industry.