70-year-old brickie breaks back in fall

Grant Prior 4 years ago

A Lincoln builder has been handed a four-month suspended prison sentence after a self-employed bricklayer broke his back in two places after falling three metres from faulty scaffolding.

Robert Wilkin, 70, of Lincoln, was left paralysed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life following the incident at a warehouse in North Hykeham in February 2013.

Wilkin spent five months in hospital and has had to have his home especially converted so he can live on the ground floor.

An HSE investigation identified serious safety failings in the construction of the scaffolding by Rodney Foyster, who had subcontracted Wilkin to carry out the bricklaying work.

Lincoln Magistrates’ Court heard that Foyster was not trained in building scaffolding. He failed to check it was safe for use and failed to ensure the safety of workers once it was in use.

Foyster was hired to fix a wall that had been damaged at the warehouse after a lorry had reversed into it and had sub-contracted Wilkin for the bricklaying.

Foyster bought and erected the second-hand scaffolding before Wilkin was appointed.

Scaffolding towers were positioned both on the inside and the outside of the warehouse.

Wooden boards were removed from the tower on the inside and used to form a makeshift bridge between the two towers.

When the incident happened, Wilkin’s son, Damien, climbed the ladder to the top of the scaffold tower inside the building and successfully made it across the makeshift bridge to the outside scaffold tower.

But when Wilkin climbed the ladder, he fell from the wooden boards onto the concrete floor three metres below, suffering life-changing injuries.

Foyster, 56, of Lincoln, was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for 18 months, ordered to carry out 200 hours worth of unpaid community work.

He was also ordered to pay £2,941 in costs after pleading guilty to safety breaches.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Martin Waring said:

“Our investigations revealed a catalogue of errors made by Mr Foyster in the assembly of this scaffolding – something he was neither qualified for nor competent in doing.

“There were numerous defects such as no edge protection, poor ladder safety and insufficient access onto the scaffolds.

“Mr Wilkin has unfortunately paid for this lack of care with his health, having been left paralysed for the rest of his life.”

Wilkin said: “I don’t remember much about what happened after I fell. Lots of people were rushing about and it took the ambulance crew about 20 minutes to get me onto a back board because I had fallen in an awkward place between pallets of bricks.

“I had an operation to fuse together my spine which was fractured in two places. I remember being in a lot of pain and was on morphine and sleeping tablets.

“Within a couple of days I was told it was unlikely I would ever walk again and I’ve been in a wheelchair ever since.

“My hobbies used to be collecting antiques, walking and gardening but I can’t do these things anymore. I find this all very difficult as I used to be very active.

“My life has been ruined because I can no longer do the things I used to do. I can’t go out on my own or drive. I feel my freedom has been taken from me and it’s been really hard on my family.”

Latest news

Police conduct three Grenfell interviews under caution

Investigation moves to a new phase following year of forensic work
7 hours ago

Surge in orders to see Robertson turnover top £700m

Contractor to report 25% increase in work as it is now live on 237 sites
56 mins ago

MPs slam building inspection and materials testing regimes

Construction under fire for "conflicts of interest that are pervasive throughout the industry"
14 hours ago

Race starts for £75m portable modular homes deal

London borough launches initiative to move homes from site-to-site
9 hours ago

London council scraps £2bn Lendlease deal

Haringey rips-up agreement with developer to build 6,400 new homes
16 hours ago

Crane driver breaks back on Balfour Channel Tunnel site

Accident during £120m contract to install electricity cable between Great Britain and France
1 day ago

Bid race takes-off for London City airport terminal

Key main terminal expansion substructure and concrete works up for grabs
1 day ago

Kier fined £600,000 after concrete block hits worker

Court hears how lack of supervision led to accident on rail bridge site
1 day ago

Graham wins £90m Congleton link road

Project includes a 85m bridge over the River Dane
2 days ago

SES lands £20m M&E deal at soft drinks bottling plant

Work to start this month powering major extension to Rugby factory
16 hours ago

Suppliers unable to contact demolition giant Cuddy Group

Calls to head office going unanswered
2 days ago

Over 1,000 staff still stranded at Carillion

Official Receiver investigators are sifting through 6bn rows of data
2 days ago

Balfour set for £60m Strathclyde Uni teaching hub

Firm lined up for first major job in £650m building programme
2 days ago

Boost your online presence – join the new Enquirer Directory

New site for suppliers and buyers will showcase their products, services and latest stories
3 months ago

60 jobs axed as Somerset building contractor sinks

Long-established R G Spiller enters administration
2 days ago

Nine in 10 councils breaking prompt payment rules

Findings emerge on six month anniversary of collapse of Carillion
2 days ago

Roadworks speed limit could be raised to 60mph

Motorway trials to test different limits through highways sites
2 days ago

McLaughlin & Harvey lands £50m Liverpool training centre

Construction to start in October on new academy
2 days ago

Plans in for final phase of £1bn Chelsea Barracks scheme

Last phase includes 126 affordable homes, and separate sports and medical centres
3 days ago

Joiners injured in temporary access platform collapse

Court hears how two workers plunged seven metres through unsafe platforms at hospital site
3 days ago

Green light for £50m Portsmouth Uni sports centre

Sports hub is the first project in a £400m University upgrade plan
3 days ago

Wates wins £161.5m Wembley resi blocks deal from Quintain

Latest deal is Wates largest ever award on a single site
6 days ago

Construction’s most considerate contractors win ultra site awards

Latest initiative rewards highest industry site standards and supply chain collaboration
3 days ago

Go-ahead for 37-storey Leeds student tower

Work to start before the end of this year on landmark student tower
6 days ago

Construction degrees come under fire from students

Students claim courses fail to prepare them for life in the industry
6 days ago

McAlpine to start £30m Manchester biomedical hub

Work to start in September on Citylabs 2.0 building project
6 days ago

Roofer in six metre plunge on to solid concrete floor

Court hears how worker suffered multiple fractures after plunge on refurbishment job
6 days ago

Cost of industry skills cards set to rise in September

CSCS leaders confirm 20% price rise per card to £36