70-year-old brickie breaks back in fall

Grant Prior 4 years ago

A Lincoln builder has been handed a four-month suspended prison sentence after a self-employed bricklayer broke his back in two places after falling three metres from faulty scaffolding.

Robert Wilkin, 70, of Lincoln, was left paralysed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life following the incident at a warehouse in North Hykeham in February 2013.

Wilkin spent five months in hospital and has had to have his home especially converted so he can live on the ground floor.

An HSE investigation identified serious safety failings in the construction of the scaffolding by Rodney Foyster, who had subcontracted Wilkin to carry out the bricklaying work.

Lincoln Magistrates’ Court heard that Foyster was not trained in building scaffolding. He failed to check it was safe for use and failed to ensure the safety of workers once it was in use.

Foyster was hired to fix a wall that had been damaged at the warehouse after a lorry had reversed into it and had sub-contracted Wilkin for the bricklaying.

Foyster bought and erected the second-hand scaffolding before Wilkin was appointed.

Scaffolding towers were positioned both on the inside and the outside of the warehouse.

Wooden boards were removed from the tower on the inside and used to form a makeshift bridge between the two towers.

When the incident happened, Wilkin’s son, Damien, climbed the ladder to the top of the scaffold tower inside the building and successfully made it across the makeshift bridge to the outside scaffold tower.

But when Wilkin climbed the ladder, he fell from the wooden boards onto the concrete floor three metres below, suffering life-changing injuries.

Foyster, 56, of Lincoln, was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for 18 months, ordered to carry out 200 hours worth of unpaid community work.

He was also ordered to pay £2,941 in costs after pleading guilty to safety breaches.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Martin Waring said:

“Our investigations revealed a catalogue of errors made by Mr Foyster in the assembly of this scaffolding – something he was neither qualified for nor competent in doing.

“There were numerous defects such as no edge protection, poor ladder safety and insufficient access onto the scaffolds.

“Mr Wilkin has unfortunately paid for this lack of care with his health, having been left paralysed for the rest of his life.”

Wilkin said: “I don’t remember much about what happened after I fell. Lots of people were rushing about and it took the ambulance crew about 20 minutes to get me onto a back board because I had fallen in an awkward place between pallets of bricks.

“I had an operation to fuse together my spine which was fractured in two places. I remember being in a lot of pain and was on morphine and sleeping tablets.

“Within a couple of days I was told it was unlikely I would ever walk again and I’ve been in a wheelchair ever since.

“My hobbies used to be collecting antiques, walking and gardening but I can’t do these things anymore. I find this all very difficult as I used to be very active.

“My life has been ruined because I can no longer do the things I used to do. I can’t go out on my own or drive. I feel my freedom has been taken from me and it’s been really hard on my family.”

Latest news

Cladding specialist Cover Structure goes into administration

Robertson takes over from stricken subcontractor on Aberdeen conference centre
3 hours ago

Kier clinches £57m student village for Warwick Uni

Five student blocks to be demolished to make way for new buildings
4 hours ago

Clugston to start work on £25m Hull warehouse

Arco national distribution centre will be extended for extra 220,000 sq ft
4 hours ago

McAlpine JV wins pre-construction deal on £466m hospital

J3 Limited joint venture chosen for new Jersey hospital
9 hours ago

Lendlease and McLaren win £1bn Manchester St John’s scheme

Enabling work to start next month on St John's neighbourhood
8 hours ago

DNA research firm to build new plant in Oxfordshire

Oxford Nanopore reveals plans for new manufacturing centre after £100m cash injection
8 hours ago

Urban & Civic praises speedy planners

Developer gets green light in just 20 weeks for 2,800 new homes
8 hours ago

Mears chases £2bn bid pipeline after profits weaken

Mears suffers challenging year after Grenfell disaster and Middle East contract hits
8 hours ago

Stalled Angelgate site put up for sale

Land earmarked for blighted Manchester resi scheme to go under auctioneer's hammer
1 day ago

£36m Cardiff student block set for planning OK

Crosslane gets go-ahead for 384-bed scheme
1 day ago

Boost your online presence with the new Enquirer Directory

New site for suppliers and buyers will showcase their products, services and latest stories
3 weeks ago

Vinci UK profits soar despite £18m civils loss

Profit boost from land disposal offsets further losses at Taylor Woodrow
1 day ago

FRC launches probe into Carillion finance directors

Investigation into Richard Adam and Zafar Khan over preparation of financial accounts back to 2014
1 day ago

Kier set for £48m Pirbright animal virus research lab

Work due to start before end of 2018 on the high containment large animal facility
1 day ago

Wates sees order book swell to record £5.1bn

Contractor confident about future prospects as it offers new roles to former Carillion staff
1 day ago

Engie to start stripping cladding on East London tower blocks

Canning Town and Plaistow Tower housing blocks get reclad go-ahead
1 day ago

Passer-by raises safety alarm over solar panel contractor

Director and contractor fined after ignoring safety warnings
1 day ago

RSK buys ground investigation specialist

Central Alliance is latest deal in acquisition spree by consultant
4 days ago

Plans in for Cheesegrater’s big brother in London

Tapering skyscraper at 100 Leadenhall will tower over the Cheesegrater
4 days ago

Vast £1.6bn South London estate rebuild approved

Clapham Park to be built out with 2,500 homes in mid-rise blocks
5 days ago

BESA appoints David Frise as new chief executive

Former submariner takes the helm at the Building Engineering Services Association
4 days ago

ISG clinches £17.5m Bradford leisure centre

Sedbergh sports and leisure facility will contain a 25m pool, gym
4 days ago

Berkeley unable to boost construction of new homes

Housing giant blames market conditions as it predicts £3.3bn profit in five years to 2021
4 days ago

Balfour Beatty tipped for £200m London student/office scheme

Landmark Vine Street project could become Balfour's second major contract with Urbanest
4 days ago

VolkerWessels UK margins edge up to 3.2%

Profits and order book grow by 7% on back of rising infrastructure spend
4 days ago

Weston Homes submits 1.2m sq ft Norwich scheme

Anglia Square scheme will provide over 1,000 homes, 40 shops and a 200-bed hotel
4 days ago

Network Rail seeks two geotechnical firms for £190m north deal

Scottish and North East earthworks delivery places up for grabs
4 days ago

Search to start for £400m Southend regen partner

Council searching for development partner to build 1,300 homes
5 days ago

Kier lifted by McNicholas deal in first half

Kier says claims and final account still to be settled on challenging Mersey Gateway project
5 days ago