70-year-old brickie breaks back in fall

Grant Prior 5 years ago

A Lincoln builder has been handed a four-month suspended prison sentence after a self-employed bricklayer broke his back in two places after falling three metres from faulty scaffolding.

Robert Wilkin, 70, of Lincoln, was left paralysed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life following the incident at a warehouse in North Hykeham in February 2013.

Wilkin spent five months in hospital and has had to have his home especially converted so he can live on the ground floor.

An HSE investigation identified serious safety failings in the construction of the scaffolding by Rodney Foyster, who had subcontracted Wilkin to carry out the bricklaying work.

Lincoln Magistrates’ Court heard that Foyster was not trained in building scaffolding. He failed to check it was safe for use and failed to ensure the safety of workers once it was in use.

Foyster was hired to fix a wall that had been damaged at the warehouse after a lorry had reversed into it and had sub-contracted Wilkin for the bricklaying.

Foyster bought and erected the second-hand scaffolding before Wilkin was appointed.

Scaffolding towers were positioned both on the inside and the outside of the warehouse.

Wooden boards were removed from the tower on the inside and used to form a makeshift bridge between the two towers.

When the incident happened, Wilkin’s son, Damien, climbed the ladder to the top of the scaffold tower inside the building and successfully made it across the makeshift bridge to the outside scaffold tower.

But when Wilkin climbed the ladder, he fell from the wooden boards onto the concrete floor three metres below, suffering life-changing injuries.

Foyster, 56, of Lincoln, was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for 18 months, ordered to carry out 200 hours worth of unpaid community work.

He was also ordered to pay £2,941 in costs after pleading guilty to safety breaches.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Martin Waring said:

“Our investigations revealed a catalogue of errors made by Mr Foyster in the assembly of this scaffolding – something he was neither qualified for nor competent in doing.

“There were numerous defects such as no edge protection, poor ladder safety and insufficient access onto the scaffolds.

“Mr Wilkin has unfortunately paid for this lack of care with his health, having been left paralysed for the rest of his life.”

Wilkin said: “I don’t remember much about what happened after I fell. Lots of people were rushing about and it took the ambulance crew about 20 minutes to get me onto a back board because I had fallen in an awkward place between pallets of bricks.

“I had an operation to fuse together my spine which was fractured in two places. I remember being in a lot of pain and was on morphine and sleeping tablets.

“Within a couple of days I was told it was unlikely I would ever walk again and I’ve been in a wheelchair ever since.

“My hobbies used to be collecting antiques, walking and gardening but I can’t do these things anymore. I find this all very difficult as I used to be very active.

“My life has been ruined because I can no longer do the things I used to do. I can’t go out on my own or drive. I feel my freedom has been taken from me and it’s been really hard on my family.”

Latest news

Forrest sites closed as contractor tries to refinance business

Company denies administration rumours as talks with banks continue
17 hours ago

Pre-construction work starts on £1bn Silvertown Tunnel

Specialist ITM Monitoring lands deal under pioneering Tfl framework
9 hours ago

Wates appoints former Willmott Dixon finance chief

Philip Wainwright joins as new Chief Financial Officer
12 hours ago

Spurs strike deal to use Wembley for whole season

Club agrees contingency plan if new stadium still not ready in the New Year
1 day ago

Galliford Try appoints new highways ops director

Three former Carillion directors now senior directors at highways business
16 hours ago

Plan for £410m London Camden Lock estate rebuilds

Estate rebuilds and linked Barratt scheme will deliver 1,300 homes at Camden Goods Yard site
16 hours ago

McAvoy wins Northumbria offsite hospital wing job

£15m order for new wing at Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital in Cramlington.
16 hours ago

Strabag confirmed for potash mine tunnel fit-out

Yorkshire potash mine developer signs off final construction contract
16 hours ago

Gravity probe could spell an end to hole digging on sites

Scientists get funding for new generation of sensors which could revolutionise ground investigation work
3 days ago

Amey wins £50m North West roads design

Amey Consulting secures Area 10 design deal adding to its maintenance contract
3 days ago

Boost your online presence – join the new Enquirer Directory

New site for suppliers and buyers will showcase their products, services and latest stories
6 months ago

Construction new work output grows 2.8% in third quarter

Activity rebound driven by new private housing
3 days ago

McLaren gets green light to start Tottenham Hale revamp

Landlord Grainger acquires first phase of redevelopment scheme for £41m
4 days ago

Building boss fined after roof collapse on resi conversion

Lucky escape for three tilers after roof cave-in
4 days ago

Go-ahead for £100m Cardiff Interchange

22-storey flats, offices and bus station plan approved
4 days ago

Willmott Dixon Interiors appoints new Midlands chief

Phil Crowther to head midlands expansion of interiors business
4 days ago

Contractor hunt starts for £50m Leicester mixed-use scheme

Developer keen to talk to builders ahead of 2019 start date
5 days ago

Chinese contractor starts first Liverpool major project

£80m Lexington tower is to be built at Princes Dock for developer Moda
5 days ago

Toshiba scraps £15bn Moorside nuclear power station plan

Plan to build Europe's biggest nuclear power station binned
5 days ago

Betting Spy: Win double for West Ham and Spurs

Double pays 3/1 while Betting Spy is off to the rugby
4 days ago

Latest Aberdeen bypass delay costs Galliford Try extra £20m

Hit on Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route rises to £143m for Galliford Try
5 days ago

Clients fastest payers among Build UK members

Only four member firms pay their bills within 30 days: Full league table of payers
5 days ago

Court hands out £1.2m fine after digger ruptures gas pipe

Distributor and contractor fined after two workers injured during repair work
5 days ago

Subcontractors wanted for £50m Liverpool Cruise terminal

McLaughlin & Harvey has 50 work packages up for grabs: Register your interest now
5 days ago

Grainger signs London council JV for 300-home scheme

Plans to be submitted next year for Lewisham Council Besson Street scheme
5 days ago

Competition watchdog calls in powered access merger

Competition and Markets Authority investigates Nationwide Platforms deal to buy HSS's UK Platforms business
5 days ago

Plans for Birmingham ‘NEC city’ and airport expansion

Plan for extra 3.4m sq ft and 2,500 homes at NEC campus
6 days ago

Fifteen firms to share £8.7bn highways bonanza

Highways England switches to performance rather than profit based deals
6 days ago

Persimmon chief to leave after £75m bonus controversy

Jeff Fairburn to step down "by mutual agreement and at the request of the company"
6 days ago

Acheson & Glover Precast placed in administration

Pre-stressed hollowcore flooring specialist collapses
6 days ago