70-year-old brickie breaks back in fall

Grant Prior 4 years ago

A Lincoln builder has been handed a four-month suspended prison sentence after a self-employed bricklayer broke his back in two places after falling three metres from faulty scaffolding.

Robert Wilkin, 70, of Lincoln, was left paralysed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life following the incident at a warehouse in North Hykeham in February 2013.

Wilkin spent five months in hospital and has had to have his home especially converted so he can live on the ground floor.

An HSE investigation identified serious safety failings in the construction of the scaffolding by Rodney Foyster, who had subcontracted Wilkin to carry out the bricklaying work.

Lincoln Magistrates’ Court heard that Foyster was not trained in building scaffolding. He failed to check it was safe for use and failed to ensure the safety of workers once it was in use.

Foyster was hired to fix a wall that had been damaged at the warehouse after a lorry had reversed into it and had sub-contracted Wilkin for the bricklaying.

Foyster bought and erected the second-hand scaffolding before Wilkin was appointed.

Scaffolding towers were positioned both on the inside and the outside of the warehouse.

Wooden boards were removed from the tower on the inside and used to form a makeshift bridge between the two towers.

When the incident happened, Wilkin’s son, Damien, climbed the ladder to the top of the scaffold tower inside the building and successfully made it across the makeshift bridge to the outside scaffold tower.

But when Wilkin climbed the ladder, he fell from the wooden boards onto the concrete floor three metres below, suffering life-changing injuries.

Foyster, 56, of Lincoln, was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for 18 months, ordered to carry out 200 hours worth of unpaid community work.

He was also ordered to pay £2,941 in costs after pleading guilty to safety breaches.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Martin Waring said:

“Our investigations revealed a catalogue of errors made by Mr Foyster in the assembly of this scaffolding – something he was neither qualified for nor competent in doing.

“There were numerous defects such as no edge protection, poor ladder safety and insufficient access onto the scaffolds.

“Mr Wilkin has unfortunately paid for this lack of care with his health, having been left paralysed for the rest of his life.”

Wilkin said: “I don’t remember much about what happened after I fell. Lots of people were rushing about and it took the ambulance crew about 20 minutes to get me onto a back board because I had fallen in an awkward place between pallets of bricks.

“I had an operation to fuse together my spine which was fractured in two places. I remember being in a lot of pain and was on morphine and sleeping tablets.

“Within a couple of days I was told it was unlikely I would ever walk again and I’ve been in a wheelchair ever since.

“My hobbies used to be collecting antiques, walking and gardening but I can’t do these things anymore. I find this all very difficult as I used to be very active.

“My life has been ruined because I can no longer do the things I used to do. I can’t go out on my own or drive. I feel my freedom has been taken from me and it’s been really hard on my family.”

Latest news

Carillion woes hit King’s Cross office project

Hunt on for a new contractor to deliver 11-storey office scheme
21 hours ago

Persimmon chairman resigns after bonus controversy

House builder admits £100m+ bonus plan should have been capped
21 hours ago

Green light for 1,300 homes at Nestlé factory

Barratt London to build 1,300 homes at former factory site in on outskirts of west London
21 hours ago

Galliford Try lands £54m Manchester Airport project

Contractor wins second taxiway project on £1bn airport upgrade
21 hours ago

Czech facade specialist starts £60m London job

Sipral starts Canary Wharf residential twin towers for Ecoworld Ballymore jv
1 day ago

McLaren gets start date for £58m Banbury shopping centre

Construction to begin in February on Castle Quay expansion
21 hours ago

Winners named for £400m infrastructure consultancy

Costain and Mace among line-up for Crown Commercial Services infrastructure framework
1 day ago

Contractor in court after workers exposed to silica dust

Safety inspectors find workers dry cutting bricks in a basement
21 hours ago

Betting Spy: David Moyes – an apology

The West Ham boss is working his magic and the Irons are a good bet away at stuttering Stoke
1 day ago

Boost your online presence with the new Enquirer Directory

New site for suppliers and buyers will showcase their products, services and latest stories
2 months ago

Crossrail site protest as Balfour lays off 50 sparks

Contractor insists redundancies are unconnected to £5,000-a-head finishing bonus demands
3 days ago

Interserve seals £180m lending deal for extra headroom

Debbie White seals deal for more time to restructure business
2 days ago

Severfield lands steelwork package for Google HQ

Specialist to start work in June for main contractor Lendlease at King's Cross site
2 days ago

Kier secures £138m London health deal

Kier P22 work haul soars to £400m
2 days ago

Scape research reveals need for huge school building push

Procurement body calls for national school building strategy
2 days ago

Carillion wins another £11.6m rail electrification deal

Network Rail awards station upgrade deal on Glasgow to Edinburgh route
3 days ago

Galliford Try wins £24m M49 junction

Work to start on new junction at Avonmouth in the New Year
2 days ago

Costain director joins pipe-lining specialist

Tim Bowen takes the helm at Aquam to deliver ambitious expansion plan
3 days ago

Highways England to trial self healing roads

Sunflower oil capsules in asphalt could save £260m a year
3 days ago

Tarmac swaps quarries for Breedon concrete plants

Tarmac offloads four quarries for 27 Breedon ready-mixed concrete plants
3 days ago

Mace wins £140m London School of Economics project

Work to start on Marshall building once McGee completes demolition in the spring
3 days ago

Construction start date for £350m Tower Hamlets site

Planning go-ahead for Galliard Homes and Lindhill at Ailsa Wharf
4 days ago

Specialist Mick George moves into housebuilding

Civils contractor forms joint venture to target housing market
3 days ago

Fusion21 launches £150m sprinkler supplier panel

Local authorities and housing associations call for post-Grenfell preferred supplier list
3 days ago

Ardmore wins £77m Stratford hotel contract

Two-year build programme gets underway at the 18-storey Gantry development
4 days ago

Lovell to start £30m Doncaster Lakeside scheme

Eastern division boasts £100m forward order book from string of schemes
3 days ago

Balfour Beatty on track for 2-3% margin by late 2018

Leo Quinn confident of paying down borrowings as they fall due in 2018
4 days ago

Skanska and Multiplex eye £100m City fringe office job

Aldgate Developments prepares to start £100m phase 2 office complex
4 days ago

Speller Metcalfe wins “non-confrontational” £16m contract

Contractor to start revamp of Derby Silk Mill next year using innovative procurement model
4 days ago