Didcot recovery operation to last “many weeks”

Grant Prior 7 months ago
Share

Emergency services have confirmed it will take “many, many weeks” to recover the bodies of three people still missing following the Didcot A Power Station collapse.

didcot
Emergency services are using hi-tech equipment at the scene

The building suddenly came down last Tuesday killing Coleman and Company worker Michael Collings and trapping three of his colleagues.

The boiler house structure was being prepared for a blowdown scheduled for this weekend.

The families of the three missing people have now returned home from the site as the complex recovery operation continues.

Assistant Chief Constable, Scott Chilton, said: “The recovery of the bodies and site investigation will be a very complex operation and I envisage it will be many, many weeks before it is completed.

“I know that this makes it particularly difficult for the families involved, as they await the recovery of their loved ones.

“Our priority remains to return them to their families and we continue to support the families as needed.

“We are working closely with the Health and Safety Executive to establish the cause of the incident.”

Chief Fire Officer Dave Etheridge added: “Our thoughts very much continue to be with the families of those who have lost their lives and I would like to reassure them that we are doing all we can to return their loved ones to them.

“I believe the emergency service teams working on site are the best in the world and know they are using their experience and expertise to the limits.”

didcot1

The missing demolition workers are buried beneath a mountain of rubble

Coleman and Company Managing Director Mark Coleman said: “It is now one week since this terrible accident and I would like to express our deep sorrow at this heartbreaking time for our colleagues, and their families and friends.

“Nothing can prepare you for, nor are there words to express, our devastation at the events of the last week.

“All our hearts go out to the family and friends of those who have died and are still, tragically, missing.

“At this time, our over-riding priority is to support those families affected by this terrible incident.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the rescue and emergency services who rushed to the scene and brought with them world-class expertise in facing this unprecedented and hugely-challenging environment.

“The overwhelming support we have received from people who work for and with us – and above all from our client RWE – has been extraordinary.

“It has touched us deeply and we are extremely grateful for all the kind words and offers of practical help we have received.

“Finally, I would like to thank the media for their co-operation and ask them to continue to respect the privacy of the families involved and all those who are currently working on the site.”

Latest news

Scotland switches to project bank accounts

From November new building projects over £4m and civils projects over £10m required to use PBAs
4 hours ago

Crossrail builders face two mile trek to the toilet

Anger grows among workforce over site welfare standards
4 hours ago

U+I targets four ‘huburbs’ for 1,000 rental home plans

Ashford, Maidstone, Swanley and Woking schemes worth £250m
4 hours ago

Time to reward construction’s top teams

Only a few tables left for Enquirer awards night after 11,000 people voted for Top Ten winners
4 hours ago

Plan unveiled for £60m UClan Preston gateway

University of Central Lancashire reveals winning design for new student support centre
5 hours ago

AFC Wimbledon cleared to build new £16m stadium

The Dons and Galliard Homes set to go-ahead with 11,000 seat stadium and 600 homes
5 hours ago

Wolseley to close 80 branches axing 800 jobs

Plumbing and builders' merchant chain to streamline UK business
1 day ago

Wates links-up with Trafford Housing Trust to transform eysore

First scheme for new joint venture in the North West
21 hours ago

Skanska to start next £70m phase of Helical Bar Old Street site

Skanska confirmed on The Tower at The Bower originally earmarked for John Sisk
1 day ago

Green light for next King’s Cross offices phase

Major 500,000 sq ft crescent-shaped office scheme approved
1 day ago

Newlon starts race for £200m new-build framework

London housing association plans to build 2,000 homes by 2022
1 day ago

Aldi to build 70 new stores next year

Budget supermarket chain aims to invest £300m in UK stores
2 days ago

Morrison Utility Services promotes Jim Arnold to chief executive

Charles Morrison steps up to become chairman of utility contractor
2 days ago

SES wins £43m M&E job at military rehab centre

M&E works secured at Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre at Stanford Hall
1 day ago

Crossrail faces demo over “missing” pay

Civils operatives claim high tech site access system is not registering all hours worked
2 days ago

J S Wright lands £4m building services package

Specialist to start in December on Brentford resi site
2 days ago

Wates appoints B&K director to head Midlands team

John Carlin joins Wates after 24 years with Bowmer and Kirkland
2 days ago

Green light for £200m Manchester Kampus scheme

Demolition work to start this Autumn for 500 private rented flats project
2 days ago

Arup blames Brexit for planned job cuts

Consultation starts on redundancies at London building division
2 days ago

Surrey Uni seeks builder for £34m student hall

More student accommodation planned after O'Hare & McGovern bags first scheme
2 days ago

Focus on Northern homes pays dividends for Gleeson

Owning a Gleeson home "cheaper than council house rent"
2 days ago

BBC starts hunt for contractor to rebuild Eastenders set

Procurement race starts for £15m revamp of Albert Square
5 days ago

London South Bank Uni unveils £500m development plan

University starts hunt for developer to deliver 10-year plan
2 days ago

Lakehouse job losses could hit 170

Redundancy programme continues at Essex contractor
5 days ago

Contractor hunt starts for £185m mixed-use Manchester job

Green light from planners for twin resi towers and office block
6 days ago

Mobile crane explodes causing fireball on M40

Highway contractors are planning to resurface the damaged part of the M40 today
6 days ago

Morgan Sindall on recruitment drive for £750m highways deal

Recruitment events in East Anglia next week: Register now
5 days ago

John Sisk front runner for £28m Manchester PRS flats

Finance secured for developer Mulbury's 135-home Port Street project
5 days ago

Near-miss for Crossrail workers as train hits power cable

Investigation launched after construction train rips electricity panel from tunnel wall
5 days ago

Nationwide Platforms md takes Ardent chief executive role

Jeremy Fish joins Ardent to steer expansion drive
5 days ago