Leaders of the Specialist Engineering Contractors’ (SEC) Group are writing to all political parties seeking their support for new payment legislation.
The parties have all talked about tackling late payment.
But SEC Group CEO Rudi Klein is demanding action as the Enquirer highlighted ‘endemic’ payment abuse among some major contractors this week.
Klein said: “We will hold all the parties to their manifesto commitments on payment by producing draft legislation that will ensure security of payment for all construction SMEs.”
Measures put forward by SEC will include:
- mandated 30-day payments;
- complete ban on pay when paid clauses;
- payments on public sector/infrastructure projects to be made directly to all project participants through project bank accounts;
- protection for retention monies;
- cheaper dispute resolution for small claims;
- penalties for serial late payers.