Carillion was confirmed winner today after topping a short-list of Bam Nuttall, Bovis Lend Lease, Laing O’Rourke, Morgan Est and Vinci.
The area around Paddington and the Grade I listed station will be transformed over the coming years. A new Crossrail station will be built under Eastbourne Terrace and Departures Road.
The Paddington Integrated Project enables this by providing a brand new step-free entrance to the Hammersmith & City line station on the canal side with access to the new taxi facility which will be relocated between the main line station and the canal.
Network Rail is also undertaking major improvement work including restoration of the station roof.
PIP works include the following:
- A new Hammersmith & City line station which will ease the existing over-crowding. The new station will provide space for future growth in passenger numbers, enhanced quality of access, interchange and ambience.
- An improved new pedestrian entrance from the canal towpath to both Paddington mainline station and the new Hammersmith & City line station.
- A new taxi facility on the east of the existing station with access to the mainline station by lifts and escalators.
- A new taxi access ramp from Bishop’s Bridge Road.
- Provision for a future commercial development above the new Hammersmith & City line station and the site adjacent to the existing canal towpath
Martin Rowark, Crossrail Head of Procurement said: “This is a critical contract as these works will enable the main station construction works for the new Crossrail Paddington Station also to proceed as planned.
“This is also the first contract to be announced since the Government and the Mayor of London reaffirmed their shared commitment to funding Crossrail following the Comprehensive Spending Review, and demonstrates that we are moving forward with delivery.”